Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Hammer

IMG_7640.jpg

George, I was hoping you'd chime in on why this hammer is an English hammer.

No,but I can tell you which part of a fish is French: The BONY PART!!

I'm not buying into the QC thing. I'm still going with some specialized use. I'm off to do some more research!

Good luck,Tim. Tell us where you will START doing research !

Looks more like it was made in Japan, from the shape of the rest of the hammer's striking end.....

Google Search-fu came up with a Made in Brazil Tramontina Master
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-17-2016 at 9:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Okay, this is a USA, made drop forged hammer head.

Attachment 349499

Anyone ever seen a face with that shape? I'm used to Estwing's smooth curved faces so wondering if this style with a point is "normal" and does anyone use a hammer like this one?

Attachment 349500

I haven't tried to use this one yet.
    Steven, It's brand new and made here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brosnan View Post
    I'm not buying into the QC thing. I'm still going with some specialized use. I'm off to do some more research!
    The first clue is that the claw indicates the hammer head is intended to motivate nails, but the face could not possibly drive a nail.

The second clue can be seen in the hammer's face. A close look at the photos makes it very clear that, even if the shape of the face is as intended, it has not been finished completely. You can see where the face end of the hammer was cut to length, and the leftover metal was simply broken off. No one would leave a hammer face that rough and ratty intentionally. Ergo, the head skipped a step or two in the shaping and polishing process. We can only guess what the final shape was intended to be, but we can be confident the shape and finish we see now are not what was intended.

I think it is an incomplete hammer head that escaped out the factory doors.
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 12-17-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Well, I still think it was on one of those "how its made" store displays; probably only the older guys remember them but they were quite common. The examples were on plywood and heavily secured in an obvious attempt to prevent theft. But people still stole them. Stole them at every stage,not just the completed sample.So the hammer didn't escape, it was kidnapped!

I'd still have to disagree that this is a QC reject. I think it looks too good not to be for some specialized task. There is a type of hammer called a "chasing hammer". It may fall into that category.

I'll go with the idea that it was part of a display of how hammers are made. But what do I know

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My slightly researched conclusion is that its a farriers hammer. Used for shoeing horses. If you know its made in USA there should be a makers mark of some type on it. Can you post a side view and better view of the claw end?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    BTW: If anyone cares to know,the word should be PANE,rather than PEIN. But,we all say pein anyway.
    Never seen it as 'pane'. Where did you find that spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Never seen it as 'pane'. Where did you find that spelling?
    I think George is referring to pronunciation ,not spelling. I'll check OED. I just looked at all farrier hammers on Google pics and did not see any pointed faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My slightly researched conclusion is that its a farriers hammer. Used for shoeing horses. If you know its made in USA there should be a makers mark of some type on it. Can you post a side view and better view of the claw end?
    Ditto for me - slightly researched and possible farrier hammer. Resembles the face on the one at this link.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Could it be a hammer used to make bowls and the claw used to pry it from a wooden mold.
    It looks like it could make hammered copper bowls.
    Just my two.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe