Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sink in wood shop?

Sink in wood shop?

I am in the process of rearranging/organizing my wood shop. I am thinking about adding a sink. I actually have two in my garage to choose from. One is a single bowl normal utility tub and the other is a 2 bowl cast iron sink I removed from my kitchen when I remodeled it. Does anyone have a sink in their shop? Do you use it? Do you wish you didn't have it? Do you not have one and wish you did? Do you have one bowl or two and wish for the other? Just looking for real life experiences.

Thanks

Eric

yes, a sink in a wood shop is a good thing. I use mine to clean brushes and spray equipment when I apply water-based finish. I also use mine to make coffee, an essential part of my shop. I don't use water stones, but those who do want a sink. A small, single-bowl, sink is sufficient. A big double-bowl cast iron sink is overkill. It will consume more space than you need, and space is usually a big issue in a shop.

Eric

I can't see many downsides to having a sink in the shop.
    If I could do it, I would definitely have one in there. My shop is used for wood working, car repair, tractor maintenance, etc. A sink would be very welcome, especially if it had hot and cold water.
    I'd use the two side CI sink myself.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a full bathroom in my shop. Utility sink, toilet and full size tub/shower.

Definitely worth it. I had a laundry tub. Great for wetting sponges and towels during glue ups, rinsing brushes and very handy to have when one slips with a sharp chisel
    Dick Mahany.

Yes, a big deep laundry sink. Comes in handy for lots of things. If the plumbing and drain are there, its worth it.

My new shop has plumbing roughed in for a half bath, and it'll have a laundry/tub/deep sink.

Yep! sink here too. Also a toilet.
    Now if I just had hot water

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I don't have a sink in my shop but would really like one. My shop expansion plans include a small kitchen room with a two-bowl stainless sink, plus shower, etc. with a second small hand-washing sink PLUS a utility tub sink. I already have the sinks so all I have to do is build the wing.

To me, a sink in the shop would only be a problem if the shop had no heat and the climate was cold.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I think about adding a sink regularly, mostly for ease of flattening water stones.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

In my workshop,I have a kitchen cabinet with a single bason of stainless steel. 2 gallon water heater inside this cabinet and a toilet in a small room. I really appreciate the toilet. I use the sink to wash my hands mostly.
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 12-17-2016 at 5:22 PM.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

My sink is an old laundry detergent bottle with a dispenser nozzle!

When we moved to our current home, it had no place for a woodshop or garage. We added the shop and a two car garage. Because of the configuration of the house and lot I had to rotate the addition. This left me with a connector between the addition and the house. On one side of it I put a walk in closet off the master bedroom and a half bath accessible from the shop and the closet. The half bath has a laundry sink with hot/cold water. Wouldn't want to be without the convenience of the sink and the commode. You will love having a sink available.

Ken

A sink here, too ..... No hot water, yet ....

Thanks everyone. I am planning on installing the sink shortly. I think it will be used more than I think. My shop is in my basement so there is no concern of anything freezing. I do think it would be very handy. I will eventually have a bathroom at the other end of the basement so the toilet won't be a far journey.

Eric