Thread: Finish for an ashtray?

Finish for an ashtray?

Hey all,
    I friend of mine saw a pot pourri dish I made a few weeks ago and was wondering if I could make him a few ashtrays like it.

Has anyone made an ashtray out of wood? If so, what did you use for the finish?

Thanks!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm unaware of any wood finish that will stand up to fire. See if you can find a clear glass ashtray and turn a wood base to fit it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would think that a lit cigarette laying in a block of bone dry wood has a chance of catching fire. I think that the idea of a glass or metal insert is a good idea.

Dollar Tree sells several metal rounds and glass rounds that may work for liners.

Most pipes are made from wood so I would think a wood ashtray wouldn't be a problem. I will look into the insert and see if that works....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Years ago wooden ashtrays were common. As I recall, the "bowl" became quite charred as did the grooves around the rim used for holding cigarettes. Given that, I think any finish would work as it will remain only in those areas not exposed to heat. On the other hand, I think choice of wood is the more critical issue. Some have a much higher ignition point.

But, as others have commented, a burning cigarette and a wood ashtray sound like a bad combination.

Most pipes are made of wood, burls if I am correct. And they have to be seasoned to prevent them from burning up during smoking. Seasoning a pipe basically creates a charred surface of the wood that won't burn twice. Use an insert of brass or glass to prevent charring of the wooden ashtray, to be safe.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

How about tar..

All I can tell you is that I use cast off small bowl/plate turnings as ash trays and have for years. I do not smoke cigarettes but for cigars no issue. Interestingly I don't see much marking on the surface at all. Admittedly these are not display items in my home, just wood junk laying around my library, shop, porch, etc to be used and abused. BTW, these were finished, if they were finished, with my usual beeswax/mineral oil mixture. It would seem that something like lacquer would scar.

Hope this helps.

In this case I don't think a finish is even needed. A good wood will wear nicely over time and the damage from the cigarettes will look good even.

Having said that, I did make some pieces and experimented with a polyurethane sealer that is meant for boats. It worked well but looked like a thin layer of plastic over the ahstray.

Really don't think it's a fire hazard though. If setting a large piece of wood on fire were as easy as extinguishing a cigarette on it, there wouldn't be boy-scout badges for fire starting

I made a pipe bowl. Read somewhere to treat the interior with a honey and water mix. Do it a few times letting it cure in between. The bowl does darken but I haven't had an fire or serious damage to it so far.

My snarky answer would be: I'd use fingernail clippings and super glue.

A more realistic one would be to use a glass insert and turn a holder for that.

Pipes are usually made from briar rose stumps so a stump burl is your best bet. Cheers

I would probably not put any finish on it and just let the wood sear from the cigarettes over time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.