Thread: Best Paint to Cover Odors

Best Paint to Cover Odors

Last summer, we bought a new house and it came with the perfect shop, an out-building that was already wired for 220, had the perfect spot for all of my tools, but I discovered that the former resident kept their dogs in the building and they had really smelled the place up with urine. So I left the windows open for a month and I painted over the areas that were most affected with Kilz Original, but here we are, six months later, and you can still smell it.

I'm planning on repainting the entire space in the spring but I want a paint that will cover up the smell once and for all. Anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

I am thinking the Zinseer shellac based primer will hide the smell.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've seen BIN used over a pretty greasy kitchen and hold up. I'm guessing odors can't get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am thinking the Zinseer shellac based primer will hide the smell.
    Absolutely correct, shellac, either pigmented or clear, is easily the best product to use. Oil based would be next. As you found, a water based primer just allows the odor to pass through. Same thing tends to happen with water stains also.

Having dealt with this issue before, you first need to use the enzyme spray treatment for dog urine (especially the floor even if it is concrete or tile) and then prime with an oil based primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    Having dealt with this issue before, you first need to use the enzyme spray treatment for dog urine (especially the floor even if it is concrete or tile) and then prime with an oil based primer.

I did that. Used Out! which I've used in the past with great success, then covered with Kilz. Didn't do the job. I think the urine is embedded in the paint now.

+1 on shellac-based primer. I have used both oil-based and shellac-based primer to mask cigarette smells in my house (was probably smoked in for 40 years)... oil does only a slightly better job than latex. Two coats of shellac primer and the smell as well as the stains are permanently gone, even in unventilated spaces like closets.

It's already been eluded to, but the paint is the last step. It's important to deal with all the sources of the odor before "sealing" any remaining in. You may want to seriously consider hiring a firm that specializes in odor removal since it's likely pretty embedded in any concrete and wood in the space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I work in the insurance industry (claims). The pros use a pigmented shellac to seal soot and smoke odors after a fire loss. They do not get call-backs from homeowners after they leave concerning smoke odors.

Don't forget about ozone. Used by hotels/motels, car dealers and others. Used one in a livestock barn which had held cows, pigs and horses for 80 years. Ozone generator kits at reasonable prices are available from several sources on e-bay. Note the health warnings but not an issue in an unoccupied outbuilding.