Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Lathe

Pen Lathe

So, been thinking about a dedicated pen turning setup. I know threads like this have been beat to death but typically when this question is asked, its from people that don't currently own a lathe. I own a beast of a lathe in the G0766, I just would prefer a dedicated mini that stays setup for pens all the time. So, I don't need room to expand or excess power or swing for bowl turning, etc. I just need a quality mini and I would really prefer VS. I don't really have a budget in mind. Obviously the least I spend, the better. If you were gonna buy a mini for the purpose of only pen turning, what would you get and why? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    So, been thinking about a dedicated pen turning setup. I know threads like this have been beat to death but typically when this question is asked, its from people that don't currently own a lathe. I own a beast of a lathe in the G0766, I just would prefer a dedicated mini that stays setup for pens all the time. So, I don't need room to expand or excess power or swing for bowl turning, etc. I just need a quality mini and I would really prefer VS. I don't really have a budget in mind. Obviously the least I spend, the better. If you were gonna buy a mini for the purpose of only pen turning, what would you get and why? TIA
    Dennis, I usually only turn pens when a kid wants to make one and when that happens it's on one of my three bigger lathes so I don't have a bit of experience with the tiny lathes. However, I have a couple of Jet mini lathes, one with a stand, that I use to take places. It is not VS but still works great for pens. We used one last for classes for kids and they all made pens. But it's not a dedicated pen lathe so you can make bowls and ornaments and a lot of things. It is all cast iron, reasonably small but very sturdy.

The thing I worry about in a dedicated pen lathe is one I saw had a lot of compromises in materials and quality. Looked kind of like a toy to me. A larger lathe would have better features, better bearings, sturdier tool rest, tailstock, less play/vibration, etc. and a lot more flexibility. I think a large lathe is the perfect lathe for even tiny things!

I personally like having two larger lathes in the shop, both with the same spindle threads so I can swap chucks and accessories. (I use a PM3520b plus a Jet 1642 with another identical Jet I can pull into the shop when needed.) Having two larger lathes gives a lot of flexibility. I can have up to two people turning at once. I can leave one project undisturbed while using the other lathe to turn a jam chuck, a support piece for the tailstock, a threading jig, etc. If one lathe should have a problem, I can still play while getting the other fixed. (I had a VFD fail once and it took me weeks to get another and program it.)

The Jet 1642 class lathe is in fact longer than the Jet mini on a stand but not any taller or deeper. If space were really tight, a tiny lathe might be better - you could keep it on a shelf and set it on a workbench to work. If kept set up all the time, I would personally consider a larger lathe IF I could make it fit somehow (and if budget was not an issue!) I mostly turn spindles and smaller things instead of big bowls and hollow forms so my lathes are against the wall which minimizes the floor space needed. The wall space is perfect for keeping tools within reach!

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg

Just one turner's opinion. Sorry I don't have the perfect answer to your question.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-19-2016 at 7:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Until the DW got active I had a Jet-1014 (non VS), that I used for just pens, finials, etc.
    Since we didn't have the sq-ft, we sold that and bought Jet-1220VS.
    Now she wants a bigger lathe.
    After the dust settles I'm going to see if we have room, then buy a non-VS mini. Non-VS, as for pens, finials, etc I just need really fast.
    But I want to stick with MT-2
    That limits me to "10 inch" lathes, which it appears to me I will be looking for something like the small Grizzly, or the smaller Jets
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Dennis,
    My dad is 89, so pens are about all he 'builds' while solo in my shop (his tools). About 2 yrs ago, he decided to upgrade a Jet Mini to Jet Mini VS and he regrets he didn't do it earlier; he really likes the VS. The Jet Mini (& VS) are all he's had for perhaps the last 18-20 yrs with no particular complaints about either. I've played a couple of times and also have no issues with the VS.

Neither he (nor I) have recent experience on any other lathes, so "we" can't comment about the how Jet Minis compare to other lathes.

...Not exactly the voice of experience, but hope this helps.

Today about all I make are platters, bowls, pens and game calls. I mostly use a Rikon 70-100 for both the pens and the game calls. It is a belt changer, it only takes a few seconds to change speeds by changing the belt on the pulleys. When I turn my bowls or platters I use my big lathe. If someone requests a duck or turkey call the bowl or platter that I am working on stays in place and I switch lathes.

6. The Jet 1221 vs is probably the best of the Asian/china made mini's, and in the WoodCraft flyer I got a couple days ago it is on sale for $698 .....I would jump on that! I have the Delta 46-460 in addition to my G0766, but the 1221 Vs was not on the market when I got it, but I think service and parts is much better with the Jet midi.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just upgraded to a 3520 from a Jet 1014vs and just finished a bunch of pens. The Jet was a huge upgrade over my Craftsman but no comparison to the PM. Only reason I'm had to bring out the Jet was my drill press couldn't drill a straight hole so I used the Jet. Once I get the spicot jaws for my chuck the Jet is gone.
    Don

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing
    I have 2 lathes. One for larger or longer work and one for pens, etc. My "pen" lathe is a Jet 1220vs. I'm recommending any of the smaller Jet lathes, either the 1220 or the 1014. I'm thinking either will do you well. Mine was spot on out of the box and has stayed that way. Fit & finish was/is excellent. Ways were machined real good. But get the variable speed.

I have the Nova Comet II Midi lathe that works well for pens and also can be used for other things (like buffing and smaller items). I have posted a review a couple of years back about the lack of power in the slow speed range, but the mid range and high speed work well and it has the VS motor, 1" -8TPI #2 MT and other features. and light enough to carry for class or demo. I have seen them on sale lately with chuck and it makes a good second lathe.

Dennis, I agree with owning two or more lathes, and I also agree with having a dedicated lathe for pen turning. I own three lathes, and one of them is a smaller lathe 10"x 12" capacity. It is a generic lathe, and it is very similar to the mini lathe that Harbor Freight sells. It is a variable speed lathe that I've owned for years, it's seen a lot of work without any issues. The nice thing about this little lathe, is that it didn't cost me much money, so I'm not out much if it hadn't worked out. Over the years, I've purchased a couple of chucks and other lathe related items. It's a lot of work to keep my shop warm enough to work in over winter, with this little lathe I can turn pens in my basement shop where its warm. It's light enough to carry around to shows and demonstrations, and I even taken mine on camping trips just in case the fish weren't biting. I have my lathe set-up on a piece of 3/4" plywood, that way I can clamp it onto a pic-nic table or in my shop-mate. You don't have to spend a lot on a lathe, if it is just going to be used for pen turning. That's why I bought this one, it was cheap at the time and it still is. Cheap enough, that if something happens to it, you just throw it away rather then try to fix it.
    Len

P.S. Something I forgot to mention, I've turned a fair amount of small bowls and boxes on this lathe also. Yes the lathe is small, but it worked the very best.
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 12-19-2016 at 9:29 PM. Reason: to add the P.S.

Jet 1220VS buy it and you won't regret it. Last a long time and holds resale value. Have it and love it.
    John T.

I had a Jet 1014 mini lathe that was non-variable and a couple years ago sold it to purchase a Jet 1220 VS model. I really like the 1220 VS but I prefer the 1014 mini lathe for pens because the 1220 VS takes some time to get up to speed. The 1014 is almost instantly at the RPM you have set with the belt selection and since pen turning requires constant starting and stopping the mini late gets my vote as the best choice. When I am applying a CA glue finish it means lots of starts and stops between application and sanding on a number of finish coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I really like the 1220 VS but I prefer the 1014 mini lathe for pens because the 1220 VS takes some time to get up to speed.
    That's a really interesting vote for non VS Keith. One of those comments that made me stop and go "huh".

I wouldn't mind a small spindle lathe as a second lathe like Dennis, so that was a really useful point (the big lathe is already vs where it matters).

Several folks have mentioned the Jet 1014. That lathe is no longer produced, it has been replaced by the 1015. I have a 1014VS, and would definitely suggest getting the variable speed. Being able to dial the speed up and down is quite valuable during the finishing. So, aside from saying "get variable speed", I can't offer much more with regards to picking between the various mini-lathes available today.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Another vote for a Jet 1014. Yes, they are no longer made, but you could look on Craigs List for one. The are pretty much bulletproof IMO. I have 2 minis and a 1642. VS is a plus, but in the used market, if you find the non VS grab it. I have 2 minis because I ran into one with tools and a chuck for 200 bucks. Those deals are out there.
    Oh, the 1015 is a nice machine too. I've turned on that too. The 1221 is great, but pricey. The 1015 isn't cheap either.....