Thread: Pipe for a DC Super Dust Deputy

Pipe for a DC Super Dust Deputy

I am having trouble finding pipe for my new DC system. I have found something called crush 200 which is a thin walled PVC 6 inch pipe which I can use to connect my DC motor to my Super Dust Deputy. The crush 200 6 inch pipe is cheap at a $1.99 per foot. The problem I am having is I bought a metal Super Dust Deputy and the input is 5 inch. I have not had any luck finding crush 200 in 5 inch. There is a metal 8 inch long 5 inch pipe which comes with the Super Dust Deputy and I have not had any luck finding metal pipe to match. Has anybody found 5 inch pipe for the Super Dust Deputy?

I guess I can drop down to crush 200 4 inch but I hate to cut my flow rate. Is there a way to use 5 inch hose with 4 inch pipe?

PS
    I have 2 HP Baldor motor with a 12 1/4 inch fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lee cox; 12-20-2016 at 4:32 PM.

Is this for ductwork around the workshop or just an interconnect between the Deputy and the fan or collection bin? Lots of places sell 5 inch flex hose (Amazon, Wynn Environmental, Oneida to name a few) and even more sell metal duct. You can also use plumbing couplings (Fernco is one brand) if you need a "special size" connection. If you need a metal reducer to go from the 6 inch crush 200 to the Deputy 5 inch, Oneida or McMaster Carr will sell one to you

I am going to use crush 200 6 inch between the fan and SDD. I planned to use 5 inch pipe around the shop if I can find it. If not I will use crush 200 4 inch around the shop. I would still like to add 5 inch hose to the 4 inch crush 200.

I will check Oneida or McMaster Carr for adapters once I get the pipe squared away.

Lee, In general, it seems that 5" pipe is hard to find. At least it was around Orlando, FL. With my metal SDD, I used a 5" to 6" HVAC adapter I found in a big box store and use a length of 6" flex from Wynn. 6" pipe will work just fine with your SDD and that blower. I have a 1HP blower and I have no trouble with the larger size pipe. I use it on one machine at a time. Don't step down to 4", you are correct that it will cut your flow rate severely.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 12-20-2016 at 11:16 PM.

I decided to use PVC crush 200 6 inch pipe for everything. I bought 20 feet to start with. I also bought fittings. I found the Oneida 6 to 5 reducer at Woodcraft which will allow me to use 6 inch for the infeed. I could not find fittings for using a larger hose size than 4 inch which I already have so I bought a 6 to 4 inch reducer at Woodcraft to use my current 4 inch hose. My current 4 inch hose is setup with a quick disconnect for all my tools. I move the hose from tool to tool using the quick disconnect. In the future I may add a Y pipe to branch to both sides of my small shop. I want to start simple at first.

I am going to route the fan blower outside. I need to find something like a dryer vent 6 inch which will not reduce my flow out. It also needs to keep critters and bugs out. Has anybody done this?

I'm not sure how to vent the blower outside, box with wire mesh over the opening and possibly a flap door seem like an idea. But I wanted mainly to make sure you know that you can shape PVC pipe pretty easily with a heat gun. I got a Y from Rockler that wouldn't hook to anything but it was expanded in a few minutes to work well. If you can't easily find a fitting you need, you should consider making it. If you need to neck from 5 to 6 inch, you would probably need to turn a cone shaped piece on a lathe to use with the PVC but I think it could be done. Couplings are pretty easy.

You can find nice vents here, with screen and/or with magnetic damper.

http://www.luxurymetals.com/WallVents.html#anchor_199

I use 5in nordfab with my super dust deputy and get it from mcmaster car. Its expensive but nordfab has all the connectors so you can easily go from nordfab pipe to hose to pvc.