Thread: Extension Table design question

Extension Table design question

I am in the process of building a dining room table out of walnut that has 2 extension leaves. My questions is the design of the leaves. Normally I would make a solid glued up top and add breadboards to the end to keep the table from cupping. Since I will have leaves in the table is there anything that I can do to help keep the table from cupping after it is finished? The table design is a trusses table that does not have an apron, so it would need some other way of adding support. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Which way does the grain on the top run -- the long direction, or the short one? If you run it the short direction, a lot of things get easier.

The grain runs long direction.

Blog Entries
    One thing you can do is to apply your finish on all sides of the table top and frame. Make sure your wood is at 7% or less and stabilized to your shop before you start working on it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Put breadboards where the two main top leaves meet.

IMO I've never found finishing both sides will prevent cupping. I would do it anyway, tho.

BTW My next project is a dining table with leaves. I've been considering running the boards short ways.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 12-17-2016 at 10:58 AM.

I'm working on a design for an extension table that will have the grain running lengthwise. There'll be cleats on the underside to help prevent cupping as you'd do on the lid of a chest.