Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My plywood cabinet doors are warping- what do I do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    One stupid question: did you paint both sides of the doors

If you painted a single face it is much probable the different humidity absorption between the faces was responsible for warping.

Anyway I think your decision to construct new doors is the simplest and easier way to go.

All the best,
    Not a stupid question at all. Surprised none of us, who replied already, asked it first. No matter now - the panels are warped. New doors for Dennis' laundry room.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    A temporary fix would be to put stiffeners on the back side of the doors.

Plywood doors tend to warp if they have no frames or stiffeners. In the old days, job site built kitchens were made of 3/8" plywood with no frames.
    The edges were rounded . There were lips cut on the perimeter. There was a lot of warping.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-28-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    One stupid question: did you paint both sides of the doors

If you painted a single face it is much probable the different humidity absorption between the faces was responsible for warping.

Anyway I think your decision to construct new doors is the simplest and easier way to go.

All the best,
    I did paint both sides.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    One last thought . . . what is the thickness of the plywood in the doors. 3/8" plywood would probably be veneer core.
    3/4" lumber core plywood might be more stable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    One last thought . . . what is the thickness of the plywood in the doors. 3/8" plywood would probably be veneer core.
    3/4" lumber core plywood might be more stable.
    It is 3/4" plywood
    Dennis

Thanks for your feedback...

Unfortunately I have no other idea about the reason for that warping as I have construct some cabinets doors for our laundry using (only) 15 mm plywood oil based painted (both sides) with no problems at all... even 25 years afterwards!

Anyway, as I stated previously, I think you went to the best path when decided to new doors as I do not thing there is a simple way to fix such (odd) warping.