Thread: Finish Turning Bowls

Finish Turning Bowls

When finish turning bowls why do many pros not use vacuum chucks? Instead the make large jam chucks. Just seems to me that a vacuum chuck is much quicker and easier to use.

Thanks,

Mike

2. For me it is the setup time........I have a HoldFast system that uses my air compressor and it has a venturi box. It is easier most of the time for me to just put on one of my chuck heads on the spindle and use it for a jam chuck, as it has a rubber seal to keep from marring the inside, and I just turn away the tenon to a little nub, and then use a chisel to cut it off. For platters, I generally do use the vacuum system, but I don't do all that many platters, so it is not real often.

BTW, I do not consider myself professional, although I do have my turnings in galleries for sale.........not sure your definition of "professional."
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mike, one of the benefits of a vacuum chuck for me is that I can access the entire bottom of the turning. This can also be done with cole jaws and some jam chucks depending on the size and shape of the turning. I prefer the vacuum for most of my pieces. I have a home made vacuum system with a Gast vacuum, so the only set up is to insert the vacuum adapter into my spindle and screw on the vacuum chuck.

I use the vacuum chuck all the time due ease of use. Saves me time and exposes me the entire base to work on. I would hate to ve with out it.

You have directed your question toward "bowls" and "professionals." I would define "Professional" bowl turners as those earning a living from their work. I don't know how many of those frequent the creek, except for Reed Gray, so perhaps he will respond with his thoughts. I suspect many professional production bowl turners have shortcuts they have developed that work for them and perhaps eliminate the need for a vacuum chuck.

There are many times an art piece simply will not hold a vacuum, but you are asking about bowls. I am neither a professional nor a bowl turner, so I can't offer much.

6. I agree with John, and sort of alluded to it in my post above, but I consider a "professional" a turner who makes his/her living exclusively at the lathe and selling their work. That is a tough way to make a viable income, and anyone who does it has my admiration!

I know a couple of professionals personally, who are in one of our clubs, and they work hard. They also have a pretty unique situation being hooked up to a historical tourist site, where people from all over the world visit, and has a gallery that sells their turnings made from wood that comes from Thomas Jefferson's home. Whatever they produce from that wood is automatically purchased outright by the gallery.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-24-2016 at 9:21 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I turn green to final thickness, let them dry and warp, then sand out. I use a recess for my mount, and don't turn it off, but leave it as is, and I don't flatten out the bottoms after they warp. One reason is that it saves a step or two in the process. The other is that some times the bowls warp so much I couldn't turn the bottom flat. Even when turned flat, the wood still moves, so the bowl can rock a bit when sitting on a table. No one seems to mind and it kind of goes with the 'organic' style of warped bowls. On art pieces, or 'dust collectors', which I don't do too many of, I will most of the time turn off the bottom tenon. These are mostly vase type forms, and I don't use a recess on them.

I guess if I was doing twice turned pieces, my approach might differ.

robo hippy