Thread: Triton TRA001 Router for Router Table

Triton TRA001 Router for Router Table

It has been a while since I have posted here. I am considering replacing my Freud router in my router table because of speed issues. It is a Model 2000 ( I dont remember all of the letters that go with the model). It is a variable speed and which now does not stay at the set speed - it not consistent as you can hear the speed change while making a piece of trim or whatever even during light cuts.

I am considering the Triton-110-Volt-3-25-HP-Precision-Dual-Mode-Router-with-Plunge-TRA001. It really seems like it was built for a router table. Event the motor cooling air flow is towards the bit - the same direction that dust collection moves the air.

I use the router for raised panel doors as well as small trim work.

Does anyone have experience with the Triton and would you recommend it?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have one in my router table, and love it ....

Yes I bought a woodpecker router table last year and I got it with a Triton router included I love it plenty power. I am planning on buying me another same unit this week.

Sommerfeld pre-drills their aluminum tables for the Tritons (option for no holes is offered too) and many highly regard their routing acumen.

My table is setup with a lift and the big PC motor, should I ever have to redo I'd look at the big Triton as a viable alternative.

I've had the Triton TRA001 for a number of years in my cast iron router table. It is a great machine with plenty of power, easily adjusted in a router table. I would not use one for free hand routing as they seem a little top heavy - but they are great in a table.

I have one, and it works great. The only issue I have is the "above table adjustment" concept. There is no lock on the fine adjustment knob, so when you are routing, it will back down. Meaning, when you release the tension lever, to adjust height, the router will fall down to where the fine tuning knob drifted down to.

To fix this, I retighten the fine tuning knob, until it's tight, then release the tension lever.

Interesting. I am fixing to buy my second woodpecker router table I was fixing to get it with the Trition router I have a extra 7518 sitting around. Would you buy it with the router lift to match the 7518 I have been pondering this ideal for some times.

Chris,

One of the advantages of the Triton routers is they have a lift built in to them. They come with a short and long turning handle that slips through the base when mounted in a router table and adjusts the bit up or down.

The first one I got suffered crib death but the company replaced it. The replacement has been in use now for a couple of years and has had extensive use the last 2-3 months. Works quite well.

--Ben

Thanks Ben I was wondering if the lifts worked better they look like they are well built.

As was pointed out by Mark, when you loosen the lock, it tends to slip a bit (1/8"?) down, but I've never found that to be an issue, as I'm usually switching to a different bit at that point anyway. I have the router set up with decent dust collection and the air flow works well.

--Ben

Thank you for all of the information. I think I am going to buy this one based on your experiences and the reviews on line that I have read. I like the idea of not having to have a separate lift. My router table does not have a cabinet, but I am preparing to make a cabinet and get rid of the steel legs. I never finished the cabinet because all of the bit changes and adjustments have to be done under the table. This router will take care of that issue. The other thing about this router is motor cooling air flow is in the direction of the vacuum for dust collection, so the motor isnt starved for cooling air.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author