Thread: Why I didn't get a Bosch 1250 DEVS for Christmas

Why I didn't get a Bosch 1250 DEVS for Christmas

I've had my eye on the Bosch 1250 DEVS for some time. The turbo mode is supposed to make it about as fast as a belt sander. Our house has hardwood floors everywhere except the bathrooms and they need refinished. My justification was to use it as an edger for that big job.

I had a small version to try first, however. We used to have a woodstove in the kitchen that we removed. I made such a mess of taking the chimney down my wife made me quit for awhile, however. I concentrated on getting it done not worrying about them mess. My HF 10 amp hammer drill in the hammering mode took the brick down but threw mortar EVERYWHERE. So this time I erected a tent over about a 8x8 area so I could deal with the drywall with mortar on it, and exterior walls without insulation. I made L shaped pieces, both horizontal and vertical, to hold up the plastic walls and put in a zippered opening. That did MUCH better controlling the dust. I planned to do the drywall and insulation work and patch the floor. My wife surprised me by saying she wanted the floor refinished too. The hearth for the woodstove was installed over the oak flooring so it was a mess and not possible to keep clean.

With that elongated introduction, I decided it would be a test of my old DeWalt 443 6 inch ROS to serve as an edger for the floors. If it worked, my theory was, I didn't need the Bosch. If it didn't then the Bosch was justified. But when I was in the middle of it, I walked by the sanding belts at HD and bought a couple 3x21 belts for my old Ryobi BE321. I was using 40 grit on the DeWalt and the belts were 36 grit. I didn't expect the Ryboi to remove the finish a lot faster than the DeWalt but it did. It was a pretty severe test because I wasn't just removing finish, I also had to even out the patch boards and remove a lip around the old hearth. I decided that woodworking sanders are not very good at floorig work but I did get the small area my wife wanted finished done.

So I am now not planning on the Bosch. Instead of a ROS as fast as a belt sander, I can just use my belt sander when needed. Most of the time, I don't even use the 6 inch DeWalt, I use a 5 inch DWE6421K. It is much easier to use one handed. But for bigger jobs, I have the 6 inch and the belt sander. For flooring work, I think I will just rent flooring sanders.

Seems like a different tool would be more helpful but I haven't decided what yet.

Edgers are a necessary tool for floor work although woodworking sanders do come in handy for some things, like doing the edges on the screening pass and point repair/fill work. You don't save yourself anything by not renting an edger.

David