Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about lathe upgrade ...

Thinking about lathe upgrade ...

I'm aware this is a well worn subject. While the Holiday pricing may play a roll in this I thought I'd put it out there for comment.

I have a 12 year old Jet 1442 that needs a trip to the doctor, this will be the second visit this year. Not sure what the problem is.

Feeling the itch to upgrade, I'd like to stay with 110 if possible to keep the replacement quick and simple. I like the rotating head stock feature on my Jet as I'm short at 5'7" and that feature helps me work the inside of my segmented bowls. Although neither of these features are an absolute deal breaker.

I'd like to stay under $3000 or so if possible .... Suggestions?

Happy New Year !!! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I have a 12 year old Jet 1442 that needs a trip to the doctor, this will be the second visit this year. Not sure what the problem is.
    Feeling the itch to upgrade, I'd like to stay with 110 if possible to keep the replacement quick and simple. I like the rotating head stock feature on my Jet as I'm short at 5'7" and that feature helps me work the inside of my segmented bowls. Although neither of these features are an absolute deal breaker.
    Tim,

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions!

I am very happy with the 110v Jet 1642 lathes. I've had one for maybe 13-14 years and bought a second used one a few years ago for a spare. Earlier this year I got a used PM3520b and while it is a lot heavier and more powerful (and 220v) there is almost nothing I can do on it that I can't do on the Jet except turn a 19" platter over the bed. I have turned bowls up to 15" or so, platters, and some hollow forms and I have never once stalled the motor. The 1642 is well built and very solid. It uses the same 1-1/4"x8 spindle threads as most larger lathes and MT2 in spindle and tailstock. I love the length and have used it several times to capacity.

The 1642 does not have the rotating head but the head will slide down to the end for access. And some my friends are happy using short platforms in front of the lathe.

The 1642 has practically the same Delta VFD as the PM3520b (although it's a 110v model with a little less capacity)
    The used one I found was about 1/2 your budget. The used PM3520b (with bed extension) was about your budget.

I have done a number of glueups but never once did a segmented piece. I wish I could come and take your segmented turning class! But I'm afraid I'd get hooked...

JKJ

The Jet 1642 is a solid bet, more so if you live near enough to Seattle to go to Equipment Sales & Surplus (Winton's authorized factory return outlet). They currently have a new 1642 with bed extension for ~$1900 (NO shipping, must pick up)

Another strong contender would be the new Nova Galaxi

One thing I really like about the Nova DVR heads is the "stop on catch" feature.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Hey John

Great feedback, I have been very pleased with my Jet over the years ... when I get a new lathe I may keep this for assembly glue ups and such.

I've read that the JWL-1840 EVS and DVR both have the swiveling head stock, the difference in price puts them at the top of my budget ( I'm flexible, frugal but flexible)

Any thoughts on the EVS vs DVR machines? I have no idea as yet which is better or worse.

Segmented Turning will keep you focused, Open Segmenting is nerve wracking.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Tim,

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions!

I am very happy with the 110v Jet 1642 lathes. I've had one for maybe 13-14 years and bought a second used one a few years ago for a spare. Earlier this year I got a used PM3520b and while it is a lot heavier and more powerful (and 220v) there is almost nothing I can do on it that I can't do on the Jet except turn a 19" platter over the bed. I have turned bowls up to 15" or so, platters, and some hollow forms and I have never once stalled the motor. The 1642 is well built and very solid. It uses the same 1-1/4"x8 spindle threads as most larger lathes and MT2 in spindle and tailstock. I love the length and have used it several times to capacity.

The 1642 does not have the rotating head but the head will slide down to the end for access. And some my friends are happy using short platforms in front of the lathe.

The 1642 has practically the same Delta VFD as the PM3520b (although it's a 110v model with a little less capacity)
    The used one I found was about 1/2 your budget. The used PM3520b (with bed extension) was about your budget.

I have done a number of glueups but never once did a segmented piece. I wish I could come and take your segmented turning class! But I'm afraid I'd get hooked...

JKJ

Hey Ralph .... I would love to visit a Winton's place, I've had great luck with refurbished tools over the years.

Thanks for the tip on the Nova Galaxi, I'll do some research.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    The Jet 1642 is a solid bet, more so if you live near enough to Seattle to go to Equipment Sales & Surplus (Winton's authorized factory return outlet). They currently have a new 1642 with bed extension for ~$1900 (NO shipping, must pick up)

Another strong contender would be the new Nova Galaxi

One thing I really like about the Nova DVR heads is the "stop on catch" feature.

Tim, I think you should seriously consider the Jet 1640EVS at $2499. It runs on 110V, and also has a rotating headstock. It's an updated version of the 1642 and has a much-improved tool rest clamping system over the 1642 along with several other upgrades. I've had mine for about 5 months now and have no regrets whatsoever.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwl-...d-lathe/719500

I absolutely love my Nova Galaxi DVR, rock solid and great variable speed system.

Sorry, origional posted in wrong section.
    Take a look at the spreadsheet just posted in other thread.
    You can resort by swivel headstock or not, price, voltage, or any other column.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 12-26-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Hey Steve, thanks for your feedback.

I have to agree, the 1640EVS is checking off every box.

Appreciate it, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arnold View Post
    Tim, I think you should seriously consider the Jet 1640EVS at $2499. It runs on 110V, and also has a rotating headstock. It's an updated version of the 1642 and has a much-improved tool rest clamping system over the 1642 along with several other upgrades. I've had mine for about 5 months now and have no regrets whatsoever.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwl-...d-lathe/719500

Thanks Michael,

It is a terrific resource, appreciate you pointing it out.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    Sorry, origional posted in wrong section.
    Take a look at the spreadsheet just posted in other thread.
    You can resort by swivel headstock or not, price, voltage, or any other column.

I was at Woodcraft a week or two ago and they had a Jet 1640EVS on display. It was pretty nice (I'm hoping to upgrade in a year or two). My only complaint about it is that the center of the spindle is 44" from the ground, this is the lowest setting for the adjustable feet. I'm 5'7". I grabbed a bowl gouge off the wall and was simulating turning a bowl and it just felt too high, a bit uncomfortable. I did notice that the 1840 EVS and DVR has it's spindle center adjustable from 39.5" up to about 44" and while more expensive it felt a lot more comfortable to stand at. Aside from that I really liked the Jet. Next time I'm on that side of town I might have to stop back in and apply another coat of drool to the Jet.

Thanks for the info Dave, very specific .. perfect.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    I was at Woodcraft a week or two ago and they had a Jet 1640EVS on display. It was pretty nice (I'm hoping to upgrade in a year or two). My only complaint about it is that the center of the spindle is 44" from the ground, this is the lowest setting for the adjustable feet. I'm 5'7". I grabbed a bowl gouge off the wall and was simulating turning a bowl and it just felt too high, a bit uncomfortable. I did notice that the 1840 EVS and DVR has it's spindle center adjustable from 39.5" up to about 44" and while more expensive it felt a lot more comfortable to stand at. Aside from that I really liked the Jet. Next time I'm on that side of town I might have to stop back in and apply another coat of drool to the Jet.

Tim, this is a bit outside your specs, as it is a 220V lathe, but I am 5' 7", as well and own the Laguna Revo 1836 and love it! I did an extensive review that I posted here several months ago - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...evo-1836/page3.

Hi John

Thank you for the great review of the Laguna Revo 1836, it wasn't on my radar until reading your take on it ... looks like a fine machine.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Tim, this is a bit outside your specs, as it is a 220V lathe, but I am 5' 7", as well and own the Laguna Revo 1836 and love it! I did an extensive review that I posted here several months ago - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...evo-1836/page3.

Tim I also think the Jet 1640 is worth a demo. I played with one at a Woodcraft and was impressed that they included a split-nut toolpost lock instead of the usual grub screw.