Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Dust Deputy XL vs Thien baffle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    I have the 2hp HF Dc with the Thein tophat. I only use it right now when using the lathe..I use a flexible hose and was wondering if ridgid pipe would help me any.? My run of the flex piping is only 18 or so feet.
    When I spoke with Oneida about my SDD and wanting to run 20 feet of hose they recommended against it. They said to use smooth wall pipe with as short as possible hose. You lose a lot of static press through a long hose.

I'll buy a 44 gallon Brute trashcan for the Thien Baffle build. That one has a 24" diameter, which should be enough for my 6" pipes. I read, somewhere, that it's recommended to have a minimum diameter for three times the pipe diameter (for better efficiency and less static pressure loss). 3*6=18". So 24" should be perfect.

There's a 55 gallon Brute as well, but I think 44 should be enough.

I used a Thien trash can separator for years with my 1100 Jet; 4" in and out. When I decided to vent outside (with a 3hp DC) I wanted to improve the separation the Thien provided. I felt a cyclone was a better option. While the Thien does a very good job, my experience was it would capture about 95% of the chips and about 80% of the dust. These are my estimates based on my use. The other factor was I could only utilize about 70% of the can volume before it needed to be emptied due to space baffle took and chips starting to bypass when filling up. The Thien may have worked with the bypass being blown away, but I felt the better solution was a cyclone. Since I was venting outside I bought the inexpensive Escarda cyclone around $250 shipped. I am very happy with the performance of this cyclone.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I used a Thien trash can separator for years with my 1100 Jet; 4" in and out. When I decided to vent outside (with a 3hp DC) I wanted to improve the separation the Thien provided. I felt a cyclone was a better option. While the Thien does a very good job, my experience was it would capture about 95% of the chips and about 80% of the dust. These are my estimates based on my use. The other factor was I could only utilize about 70% of the can volume before it needed to be emptied due to space baffle took and chips starting to bypass when filling up. The Thien may have worked with the bypass being blown away, but I felt the better solution was a cyclone. Since I was venting outside I bought the inexpensive Escarda cyclone around $250 shipped. I am very happy with the performance of this cyclone.
    A cyclone certainly separates better, but the need for it is negated by venting outside. There will be no appreciable evidence of dust/chips outside if using a baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    A cyclone certainly separates better, but the need for it is negated by venting outside. There will be no appreciable evidence of dust/chips outside if using a baffle.
    I didn't try it so don't know. I couldn't find any information on using a Thien baffle with a 3-5hp system. I had other concerns in addition to any debris outside. I wasn't sure how effective a 6" Thien system would be. Also with 6" connections I felt I would be giving up to much storage volume in the bin. Then would a 3-5hp system collapse a brute can. I briefly thought about a top hat design, but the cyclone just seemed much more practical and not much more cost. To me there were just too many other unknowns to invest the time and money into it. None of these things may be issues, but too many unknowns to me to go that way. I have 12' ceilings, so I could stack my system and save floor space.
    IMG_0884.JPG
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.