Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Joinery Would You Use on This?

What Joinery Would You Use on This?

Hey All,

I'm making a mission style frame for a buddy that will house a stained glass pane. Because the top rail is so narrow I can't use a biscuit to join it to the stile. I have a dowling jig too, but those things can be a little fiddley.

What would you guys do here?

Thanks!

- Paul

PS - First time posting pictures, so please be patient with me if I screwed it up.
    034 (Large).JPG035 (Large).JPG036 (Large).JPG037 (Large).JPG

If it's cut already, then I'd do my best with the dowels.

If not yet cut, then consider a half-lap joint.

If already cut, pocket hole screws would be an option as well. (though they seem to telegraph their presence more in cherry than any other wood I've put them in--not sure why but they tend to leave a dimple on the front side).

earl

Great minds think alike. :-). I actually made a prototype using half laps out of plywood. They plan to hang this in a window, so both sides will be visible. He didn't like the look of the back of the half lap.

And, yes, it is cut already.

Do you have a way to make a mortise on each piece and us a loose tennon, maybe made by you to fit the situation? Kind of a large version of a dowel.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Dowels, then.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned a Domino yet.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

If he was considering a biscuit, he must not own a Domino.

Blog Entries
    If you have a drill press you can drill a 3/8" diameter counter bore into the stile and then add a wood screw or two into the rail on each joint. Plug the holes for the counter bore with plugs cut from scraps of cherry. If you orient the grain in the plugs to align with the grain in the stiles the plugs will be all but invisible when you sand and finish. Noting will be seen from the room or from outside.

If you don't have a plug cutter, buy one as you will find lots of use for it in the future.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dovetailed (14° ) 1/2 lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you have a drill press you can drill a 3/8" diameter counter bore into the stile and then add a wood screw or two into the rail on each joint. Plug the holes for the counter bore with plugs cut from scraps of cherry. If you orient the grain in the plugs to align with the grain in the stiles the plugs will be all but invisible when you sand and finish. Noting will be seen from the room or from outside.

If you don't have a plug cutter, buy one as you will find lots of use for it in the future.
    Good $15.00 solution, that will come in handy in the future, not necessarily "fine" woodworking, but a quick solid solution. Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Richard View Post
    Hey All,

I'm making a mission style frame for a buddy that will house a stained glass pane. Because the top rail is so narrow I can't use a biscuit to join it to the stile. I have a dowling jig too, but those things can be a little fiddley.

What would you guys do here?

Thanks!

- Paul

PS - First time posting pictures, so please be patient with me if I screwed it up.
    034 (Large).JPG035 (Large).JPG036 (Large).JPG037 (Large).JPG
    Hello Paul, I always use mortise and tenon joints on this sort of frame, strong, invisible, traditional.

Another choice would be a bridle joint, also very strong and traditional, with an exposed joint to show your workmanship.......Regards, Rod

What size biscuit is that in the picture? It looks like a 20 which is the biggest. There are smaller ones which should work.

I like the idea of a bridle joint and also think a smaller biscuit would work.

Funny from just reading the title I was betting my answer was "Domino" and indeed that would be what I would use if no joinery was to be visible.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You need one of these:

because it makes any version of these simple:

or:

or maybe some really big ones for an entry door:

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 12-28-2016 at 7:20 PM.