Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block Plane Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    Patrick, no. The irons on my wartime Stanley 60 1/2 and the late 1960s English Stanley 60 1/2 are both 1 3/8", My Stanley 103 is 1 5/16 " In my hand, those are big differences from the 1 5/8" block planes. BTW the Record 60 1/2 is a 1 5/8".
    As with many things Stanley, it depends on the year. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm.

The ones I've seen were apparently earlier types.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Lie Nielsen stopped making the #102. The current line up includes a contemporary model of the #103. Though the OP did suggest he doesn't want the extra bits offered with the #103.

jtk
    I have the LN 102 and it looks exactly like the one on LN's web site. Looks to me like LN still offers the 102 - says $115. I, also, don't see a 103 on LN's site.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Millers Falls 56, extremely similar to the Stanley 60 1/2. It has the 12 degree pitch, adjustable mouth, and screw adjuster. The irons are decent steel, and the weight feels negligible in my hand. It pretty much just fits.

I have the 7" #57 as well, but the 56 has both the smaller width and length. They are also often found in spectacular condition. Get a 56 and not a 56B as they can also use the Stanley irons if you'd like to replace one later. The B models use a different adjuster.

They're a contender alternative if you're open to vintage items in the $25-$35 range.

Lie Nielsen stopped producing the #103 block plane. They continue to sell the #102 in bronze. I believe that they also dropped the iron version of the #102.

If the lost plane was a #102, and this was a favourite user, then simply replace it. I have the #103. And it is one I pick up much of the time for easing edges. The higher bed is better in this regard. This may be replicated in the #102 by honing at a higher angle. My money is on another #102 (and I have both the LN #60 1/2 and the Veritas NX60 block planes - great for the workshop but too large and heavy for an apron pocket).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have the LN 102 and it looks exactly like the one on LN's web site. Looks to me like LN still offers the 102 - says $115. I, also, don't see a 103 on LN's site.

Mike
    My mistake, the small block plan the OP mentions did not have an adjuster from what can be derived from his post.

The original Stanley #102 didn't have a blade adjuster. That is where my mistake originates.

There are small block planes without adjusters available on ebay in used condition.

There are also a lot listed at Lee Valley.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If I could have only one small block plane it would be my 102 hands down. Get another!

I have the Veritas Block plane(s). For trim job I found LN 102 uncomparable till today. I still have my LV block planes when heavier cuts are needed.

My favorite apron plane is the Sargent #206. It sounds like it has all the features you like in your original LN.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The other obvious option for a small fixed-mouth block plane is the Veritas Apron Plane. It has a Norris adjuster, but it's a very nice plane IMO
    Thanks Patrick. I found this plane via search - interestingly it was overlooked when searching via navigation on the Lee Valley site - though I see now that it is there. That is a worthy contender and I like the blade replacement (and ordering) options. It is the lightest of the "premium maker" blocks at 14 oz (~400 grams).

Regarding the 102, LN doesn't callout the type of steel though on the Highland web-site Lee Laird indicates the following: "The blade is made from A2 Tool Steel hardened to Rockwell 60-62."

Apologies for moving this thread back up to the top.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 01-01-2017 at 9:25 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Thanks Patrick. I found this plane via search - interestingly it was overlooked when searching via navigation on the Lee Valley site - though I see now that it is there. That is a worthy contender and I like the blade replacement (and ordering) options. It is the lightest of the "premium maker" blocks at 14 oz (~400 grams).

Regarding the 102, LN doesn't callout the type of steel though on the Highland web-site Lee Laird indicates the following: "The blade is made from A2 Tool Steel hardened to Rockwell 60-62."

Apologies for moving this thread back up to the top.
    I have the apron plane. I use it a lot. It lives in the pocket of my apron. It does cross grain quite well.