Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesmerizing woodworking video

Blog Entries

Mesmerizing woodworking video

Ok, mesmerizing might be a bit much, but I couldn't stop watching this half hour video by Felder of construction of a hot tub. Starting with a to-die-for big stack of 4 meter long nearly clear Siberian Larch, he cross cut, edged, ripped, jointed, planed, bandsawed until he finally assembled the hot tub. Included was an aluminum wood fired heater that sat inside the tub. I would enjoy the repetition needed to construct all of the T&G floor boards and the radiused staves, particularly being able to use the big feeders. The initial crosscutting of those 12 footers looked a bit awkward, methinks a big RAS would be much easier.

Off now to buy some lotto tickets to get a big shop and equip it with those big Felder machines...

Enjoy.

Edit, just realized this video just came out last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4gSMdaaxE
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-31-2016 at 4:59 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Well, I watched the whole thing, and mesmerizing is an apt description. It was oddly fascinating...

I kept wondering how my hero Norm would have approached this project -- (the New Deutsche Workshop?) -- I'm sure there would have been some biscuits and a brad nailer in there some place

Both the machine and the stack of lumber only things I can dream about at this point, but it was fun dreaming for a half-hour!

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I like all of Felder's infomercial videos, but this project deserves a place high on my bucket list. I'm afraid though, it could be easier sourcing the stove from Germany than finding good suitable lumber.

Well, thanks for that! Now I'm going to get a half hour less sleep before I have to go to work!

What a dream machine!

Cool project too, although I wonder how comfortable it would be to sit in there with the 90 degree sides.

What an amazing video. The Germanic part of me (Norwegian and German) just sings with joy at the simple efficiency and precision of that entire build process. Usually that part of me is sobbing with grief as I start a project and proceed to dither over small details instead of getting 'er done, let it sit in a corner for few years, lose pieces, start another project or three, can't find my original drawings, or worse can't read my original notes, or I'm ready to finish the project at last but can't find the hardware I bought two years earlier...

Thank you Felder, for providing an inspiration to undisciplined hobbyists like me. Happy New Year everyone!

I thoroughly enjoyed that video as well. It especially made me happy that I just bought a rolling lift cart/table like the one in the video (mine's HF - not Felder, since I don't have $2200 or whatever to spend on a cart).

Dave, I think you and I might be woodworking twins. You described my work 'process' perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post

Dave, I think you and I might be woodworking twins. You described my work 'process' perfectly!
    Ha, good thing we're on opposite coasts or we might try and collaborate on a project and really get into trouble! Or do two wrongs make a right?

Neat watched the whole video. I really need a power feed...and a better jointer....and a shaper... and and.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed that video as well. It especially made me happy that I just bought a rolling lift cart/table like the one in the video (mine's HF - not Felder, since I don't have $2200 or whatever to spend on a cart).
    Yeah, I got some ideas for my HF lift cart. I had primarily used it in the metal shop but it's going to get a new top and moved to WW duty.

That was some beautiful larch.

What a nice piece of equipment and great project to show it off. Any idea what that setup costs? Im sure the power feeder and shaped heads are pretty pricey too. 30K?
    Bob C

What an odd way to process rough stock.

Darcy, yes, I agree that there was some "order of steps" that were different than I might have done. For example, I flatten and thickness before I cut the edges on the slider and with a sharp blade, that eliminates the edge jointing step. But no matter...the job got done and the end result was very interesting. No glue, either.
    -----

That was a very interesting video. I hope that folks not familiar with Euro style machines appreciated the clear examples of repeatability that those of us who own them appreciate to the max! While this is a high end Felder machine with lots of bells and whistles, the techniques are "brand-less".

Bob, when you add accessories like the power feeder, it does ratchet up cost a bit, and tooling is always a cost. I don't know what that particular machine setup goes for, however...hopefully one of our Felder owners can help with that. The power feeder clearly provides value for projects like this, for sure...that was evident in the video. Not only does it "do the work" of moving the material, it also is designed to keep that material against the work surface and/or fence in a way that no human hands could ever match.

I kinda, sorta, really want one or two of those adjustable tables!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-01-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know you can wrap up 30k in the 700s (?) Sliding table saw/shaper with feeder and tooling.

If I order lumber skip planed, it goes through the SLR first, other wise it's face, plane a pass on both sides, then SLR, then glue ups or back through planer.

SLR really eliminates almost all edge jointing.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 01-01-2017 at 10:00 PM.

What really got my attention is Siberian Larch.
    Sounds badass
    Had to look that one up.
    Aj