Thread: Finding replacement blade for woody blade with chip breaker

Finding replacement blade for woody blade with chip breaker

I have a wooden jointer that I dearly love to use. It's blade however is in rough shape so I dare not use it for fine work. The blade is about 8 5/8 long and near as I can tell 2 7/16 inches wide. Is a number seven blade close enough to try?

Blog Entries
    Considering that it will not explode or bring an end to the space time continuum (), it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Most # 6 and #7 plane irons are at 2-3/8" wide.

Have seen a bunch of such woodie irons on that auction site, most with the chipbreaker that was designed for them.. And..most of the woodie irons were tapered, as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Considering that it will not explode or bring an end to the space time continuum (), it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

jtk
    my concern was the looseness leading to damaging the sides of the bed or the work. Not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Most # 6 and #7 plane irons are at 2-3/8" wide.

Have seen a bunch of such woodie irons on that auction site, most with the chipbreaker that was designed for them.. And..most of the woodie irons were tapered, as well..
    I am assuming it's the original iron and cap iron. It is definitely not tapered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    my concern was the looseness leading to damaging the sides of the bed or the work. Not an issue?

[edit]
    If the wedge holds the blade well, it shouldn't cause any damage to the sides of the bed or foul the work. If it does slip, hopefully you will discover this while setting it up on some scrap.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)