Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

2 Jan 2017

Good Morning Everyone and welcome to 2017!!

Rain and thunderstorms here today and I'm off work today in celebration of New Years Day. We did nothing for New Years Eve except for rest and relax from the day job and other pressures of life. So it was a good evening to snack on decent food, watch some Netflix, and enjoy doing precious little for a change. No woodworking projects going on, so the shop is quiet and needs a cleaning once again.

Today is a little work around the house, get a couple of things done for the MIL, and go eat dinner tonight with the Son-In-Law, the LOML Jr and our grand baby. Tomorrow is back to the daily grind as well as work preparation of the "change freeze" coming off all systems at work, so I anticipate that next week will start the season of being a very busy time at the day job.

I've been thinking about setting up an LLC for my woodworking stuff in a way of preparing for retirement in a few years and since I know nothing about running a business (because I like making stuff out of wood but don't do well with running the business side of things) I have a lot of reading and understanding to do. So...if you have expertise in this area, I'd love to hear from you before I spend way too much time reading and trying to understand what will be required of me.

That's it from me, so what did YOU do this past New Years weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Made and installed a closet storage rack for my parents out of ripped 2x4s and 1/4" baltic birch. I had to make it in two parts to fit it into my Subaru wagon - I used 3" metal straps to attach the top and bottom sections. I liked the simple construction - two identical frames connected with shelves (thanks Family Handyman magazine!)

rack_for_parents.jpg

And I finally got around to applying the first coat of finish to a figured cherry coffee table I built (Watco Danish Wood Oil.) Sorry for the horrible photo, I was trying to make a time-lapse movie for fun.

coffee_table_finish.jpg

Happy 2017 everyone! May you and yours have a happy and prosperous year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stuve View Post
    Made and installed a closet storage rack for my parents out of ripped 2x4s and 1/4" baltic birch. I had to make it in two parts to fit it into my Subaru wagon - I used 3" metal straps to attach the top and bottom sections. I liked the simple construction - two identical frames connected with shelves (thanks Family Handyman magazine!)

rack_for_parents.jpg

And I finally got around to applying the first coat of finish to a figured cherry coffee table I built (Watco Danish Wood Oil.) Sorry for the horrible photo, I was trying to make a time-lapse movie for fun.

coffee_table_finish.jpg

Happy 2017 everyone! May you and yours have a happy and prosperous year.
    Both look fantastic!

I rebuilt a scratched up scratching post for my scratchy cats. Quality time in the shop.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I rebuilt a scratched up scratching post for my scratchy cats. Quality time in the shop.

JKJ
    Small projects are sometimes really fun! I built a rack behind my workbench for my chisels and screwdrivers.

I spent much of my weekend researching cabinet ideas for my shop so that I can get it cleaned up and organized. After a warm fall this year my wife agreed to adding AC to the shop so I have been researching that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I spent much of my weekend researching cabinet ideas for my shop so that I can get it cleaned up and organized. After a warm fall this year my wife agreed to adding AC to the shop so I have been researching that as well.

Awesome, having just cleaned my shop I can tell you this should make a huge difference in your efficiency.

Dennis, are you sure you want to incorporate? Research your tax laws for the definition of a hobby and apply your creativity to how to benefit. Insurance is much cheaper. There is no paperwork for your IRS. You can work for cash. It's how I plan to retire.

Apart from that, I'm back on finishing my wife's soap kitchen. Tiling is next then skirting and architraves and painting. Not much to go. Should get out of the full room reno for about $450 including sink, tiles, lining, paint, plumbing and electrical. Return on investment will take about 3 days taking it easy. Cheers

Hi Dennis, the only thing I accomplished over the weekend was to make another 20 of these oven sticks.
    Oven Stick.jpg

I made 18 before Christmas to give away to visitors over the Christmas holiday.

Unfortunately my neighbours and friends seem to talk to each other and soon I was getting the good natured teasing about where their sticks were.

I made another 20, glad I made a jig for the shaper as then I didn't have to saw accurately or sand, the wood is some cherry shorts that had been hanging around for years, finished with paste wax.

regards, Rod.

Oven sticks

Ok, I've never heard of this but My Lovely Bride the gourmet chef has. After showing her your photo she wants one. Knowing her, it will need to be hand carved from Cocobolo or Olive. (No, she just specified a turned handle!.)

How long (and how thick on the working end) should I make it? Unless it is a company trade secret. :-)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ok, I've never heard of this but My Lovely Bride the gourmet chef has. After showing her your photo she wants one. Knowing her, it will need to be hand carved from Cocobolo or Olive. (No, she just specified a turned handle!.)

How long (and how thick on the working end) should I make it? Unless it is a company trade secret. :-)

JKJ
    The wood is about 5/8" thick, I've included a tracing of it on an 11 X 17 piece of paper, with the 17" dimension the same direction as the stick.

Stick.pdf

Hope that helps..........Rod,

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The wood is about 5/8" thick, I've included a tracing of it on an 11 X 17 piece of paper, with the 17" dimension the same direction as the stick.

Stick.pdf

Hope that helps..........Rod,
    Wow! Thanks for the drawing! It will help a lot. I had a few minutes and started on a prototype on the lathe but I could already see that it's going to be too short. Now I can tell her I consulted with a world expert in oven stick design. :-)

JKJ

Max width is whatever will fit between the rungs of your oven rack (when you hook the rack to pull it out). Max length is whatever feels comfortable. Nothing but precision guestimation here!
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    Max width is whatever will fit between the rungs of your oven rack (when you hook the rack to pull it out). Max length is whatever feels comfortable. Nothing but precision guestimation here!
    It was measured with a micrometer, drawn in chalk and cut with an axe...............True precision............Rod.

I'm a little late getting my "what I did during the holiday break" to the board this week. I think I've fully recovered from my last large project (the twin over full size bunk beds) and have been spending time over the last three weeks working on a cat tree for #2 daughter's upcoming birthday. The tree will be similar to the one shown in the picture below, but will be made to match the bookcase design that I borrowed last year from IKEA--birch ply construction with a Doug fir veneer. To help me with the veneers, I picked up a 3/4" thin kerf (.025) 3TPI Timbewolf blade for my 17" bandsaw (G0153X2BF). With minimal set up (still haven't dressed or lubricated it) that blade cuts like buttah through CVG Doug fir (test cut pics below). I also received a new Earlex steaming kit in the mail today (thank you Amazon) that I'll be using for bending 1/4" x 1-1/2" rims for each of the platforms that I made using an ellipse jig for my router (also pictured). Looks like I'll be busy for the next week or two (or more, if this project goes like all the rest before it).

Cat-Tree.jpg resawBlade.jpg resawnDougFir.jpg resawnDougFir_closeUp.jpg ellipseJig.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 01-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.