Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Cabinet Job Progress - pics

First Cabinet Job Progress - pics

Greetings,

I've been working on my very first set of cabinets that I was commissioned to make for our church audio department. I've been working on these cabinets with the gracious help of <B>Mark Cothren</B> and we are getting close to having these babies done. It's been about 7 weeks in progress and I found out in a real hurry that it's NO FUN having to work in the shop every single night after a full days work at the day job. Needless to say, I've gotta cut back on taking commission jobs since it takes away from my family and leaves me precious little time to "enjoy" working in the shop when I want to work in the shop. But then, it's not "work" is it?

Anyway, here are some progress pics of what has been done up through today. These cabinets are Birch Ply with a mix of Birch lumber and Alder lumber. Lesson learned? Never, Ever use solid Birch lumber on cabinets. The stuff is simply to wavey and twisted to use as faceframe or drawer stock.

The color on these cabinets are Trans Tint alcohol based dye mixed in a ratio of 2 ounces per 1/2 gallon of alcohol and the color name is Vintage Antique Maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Last couple of pics....

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

They look great, Dennis. A lot of work, but take satisfaction that you made some beautiful cabinetry for your customer!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The cabinets look great Dennis.

Sorry that you have had to spend too much time on the job and sorry that you had problems with the birch. I have have good luck with (Canadian) birch boards.

Looks like you did a nice job, Dennis.

Richard

Lookin good Dennis. Should do the job in the audio department quite nicely. The birch looks nice with the dye stain. Working as a part timer with a full time job is a full time job on it's own huh? Been doing that for some time now and I'm gettin fed up with it pretty bad. Think I'm gonna quit my day job and become a full time sawdust junky. I can get burried up in my shop and forget all the stuff to do with anything at my workplace. I've enjoyed my day job for the last 27 years but it may be time to do something else.

Great job on the cabinets. Hope they fit now I've done some that didn't
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Good job Dennis. They look excellent.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If you were having a hard time with the birch, it shure doesn't show! Nice job, and nice color. I've been playing around with transtint in water on birch ply without much success. How did you control the blotch?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dennis, nice job! The cabs look great. Looks like you will be taking a well deserved rest soon!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    If you were having a hard time with the birch, it shure doesn't show! Nice job, and nice color. I've been playing around with transtint in water on birch ply without much success. How did you control the blotch?

Dan
    Dan,
    The trick that I've found is that the WB dye AND the alcohol dye "has" to be sprayed for even consistant color. I tried both WB and AB dye with hand application....no go!!!! It was so splotchy and ugly that the wife wouldn't let me in the house with "that ugly lookin' wood"!!! Switched over to spraying with a $99 HVLP Gravity fed gun from the local BB store and it works unbelievably well. Very nice, even, and consistant color and hue. I've come to "really love" using dye instead of oil based stains. Here's a very good example that was done just today:

1. Noticed some chalk on the side of a cabinet that got sprayed over with dye.
    2. The chalk shown through like a great big sore thumb.
    3. Sanded the chalk and dye of in just those spots with some 220 grit sandpaper.
    4. Wiped off the dust with a bare hand.
    5. Sprayed on more dye in just the sanded areas and lightly feathered out from the newly sanded/dyed areas.
    6. Waited about 2 minutes. Dry as a bone.
    7. Shot over that area with lacquer sanding sealer in under 3 minutes from spraying the dye.
    8. All done and ready for final sanding and Satin Lacquer.

I have yet to be able to do just that with oil based stains. Besides that? I don't have to wait 12 or 24 hours while I wait for the stain to dry. The dye is dry and ready for clear coating within a few very short minutes.
    Dennis -

Hey Dennis

Is this the project you were seeking input on those Blum hinges?

How do you like them?

Joe
    P.S. The cabinets look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Hey Dennis
    Is this the project you were seeking input on those Blum hinges?
    How do you like them?
    Joe
    P.S. The cabinets look great!
    Joe,

Yes it is....and I like them very much so far. I'll tell ya more once I have installed and aligned all 8 doors on the cabinet uppers.
    Dennis -

Great looking work Dennis! I love the high level of craftmanship!

Looking great Dennis, but 2 jobs for 7 weeks....you must be getting exhausted . The alder stained/dyed up real close to the birch Dennis - can't tell them apart and yeah - birch can have a tendency to twist and wave when cut in smaller widths such as a door frame. So, when do you plan on having them delivered and installed - I am looking forward in seeing them all put together!

Love the cabinets. Well worth the effort.