Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and Maintaining table saw top

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cleaning and Maintaining table saw top

I recently bought a used Ridgid TS3650 for a very good deal. The saw was basically brand new with very little use but since the saw was used more for collecting clutter then cutting wood the top does have some marks and light surface rust. I am wondering if I can clean the top up with some steel wool without damaging anything? I remember many years back in my woodworking class the instructor used to have the students coat all the cast iron tops with some type of wax. Do people still do this and is there a certain type of was to use? Thanks.

Congratulations on your find!

Yes, you can use steel wool, scotchbrite-type pads or other fine abrasives. For spots, I often just scrape with a razor blade. You can use a non-silicon paste wax ( like Johnson's) or any number of good spray on topcoats like Boeshield. I just use the wax, myself.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Johnson's. Apply periodically and/or when you notice some "dragging" when you push wood across the table top.
    David

No better rust preventive than lumber

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    No better rust preventive than lumber
    Moving lumber that is. I have seen lumber laying on cast iron that cause moister to gather and leave a rust mark.

No, has not occurred up to now to try wipe-on on planes. Have to think about it though.

Scotchbrite folloewed by T9 followed by Minwax paste wax. I tried Johnsons once and it was very runny

I use Johnsons paste wax as well.
    For the rust I've used #0000 steel wool.

Kevin

It depends on how bad the top is. For very light rust, you can just use green pads or steel wool, finished off with paste wax. Don't worry about scratches unless they are deep, after all, a table saw exists to be used, not admired.

Ive got some red scotch brite in the shop so I am going to try that. Ive searched for the johnsons wax and it turns out its not available in canada anymore and the only place I can find it is amazon but its about $75. Ive found it in the states for about $7. I wont be traveling to the states for a few months do you guys know of something i can use until then? How about the minwax wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wakeling View Post
    Ive got some red scotch brite in the shop so I am going to try that. Ive searched for the johnsons wax and it turns out its not available in canada anymore and the only place I can find it is amazon but its about $75. Ive found it in the states for about $7. I wont be traveling to the states for a few months do you guys know of something i can use until then? How about the minwax wax?
    I use a maroon Scotch-brite pad, and the boesheild T9 stuff. Fairly regularly. I do have this wax:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42950

Dont use it much though. In the shop, I try and keep the tables clean and lubricated but I certainly dont get too wound up from some discolouration. It happens... people bring stuff in from the back of a pickup, etc, thats got snow on it, we set our coffees down etc. Even in the summer months, when humid, I notice where you set your hands down on the tables, they tend to start rusting finely.

Winter is so dry, no problems unless someone sets their wet gloves down, etc. Or a board thats wet from the snow.
    Andrew J. Coholic

I first tried wax, then boeshield, and with only heating the shop when I worked in there, would still get rust on the tables. What really works great is wipe on poly on the cast iron tops. Now I heat the shop regularly, not as much trouble, but still like the wipe on poly on the tops. No rust at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I first tried wax, then boeshield, and with only heating the shop when I worked in there, would still get rust on the tables. What really works great is wipe on poly on the cast iron tops. Now I heat the shop regularly, not as much trouble, but still like the wipe on poly on the tops. No rust at all.
    Jim - you ever try it on iron hand planes? If so, did it work as well?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Use Butchers Bowling alley wax on my cast iron seems to work really good so far no rust . Silicone free too
    There is a some talk about it in this thread on SMC http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...p-vac-question