Thread: Motor Wiring Help

Motor Wiring Help

Nearing the end of a Delta 14" band saw refurb/upgrade odyssey, last big piece is the motor. I removed the old motor and have the new Grizzly 2 HP TEFC wired to the point pictured. Question is, when wiring in the switch where do the red & orange wires go? Wiring in the switch is not addressed in the Grizzly wiring schematic as far as I can tell. I have my suspicions but wanted to ask here first before I plug it in.

When wired into the original 3/4 HP Delta motor it looked something like this:

Black motor lead to Orange switch lead
    White motor lead to Red switch lead

Heres the Grizzly literature, note I'm wiring for 110v single phase - ccw rotation

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

So you have a cord running from the motor to the switch that has a black, white, red, orange, and green?

I think we need to know what sort of switch is being used to answer this.

In general, though, since you're wiring it for 120V, you simply need to place the switch in series with the black wire to the motor. That would make the extra wires unnecessary. You could tape them off, or just place them in parallel with the black / white wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    So you have a cord running from the motor to the switch that has a black, white, red, orange, and green?

I think we need to know what sort of switch is being used to answer this.

Correct.

Switch is a Delta OEM push button switch - KEDU HY56

So if it's a double-pole switch, you can connect both the black and white wires to it and switch both (although only switching the black is necessary). The red and orange wires are unnecessary.

So you're saying it will run the way it is currently wired? Just tape off red and orange and let her rip.

Or are you saying the white and black leads w/ arrows pictured need to be flip flopped?

Wiring Pic.jpg

Yep, tape them off and go. You only need 3 wires (hot, neutral, and ground) running from the switch to the motor. It appears you have 5 wires. The other 2 (red, orange) are not needed.

It doesn't matter if the black and white wires (you show with arrows) are swapped, or not.

Yep, tape them off and go. You only need 3 wires (hot, neutral, and ground) running from the switch to the motor. It appears you have 5 wires. The other 2 (red, orange) are not needed.

It doesn't matter if the black and white wires (you show with arrows) are swapped, or not.
    Perfect, thank you.

Blog Entries
    So if it's a double-pole switch, you can connect both the black and white wires to it and switch both (although only switching the black is necessary). The red and orange wires are unnecessary.
    To be safe, open the switch box to insure the red and orange wires are not connected to anything on that end.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Fun new twist, with the switch wired in the motor runs as soon as its plugged into the wall - doesn't matter if the switch is in the on or off position. Thoughts?

There's something connected wrong in the switch.

EDIT: If it's just a regular, mechanical on/off switch, then you just need to wire it such that it opens/closes the black wire. It's just like a light switch, only the "user interface" is different.
    Last edited by Dan Friedrichs; 01-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Originally (before motor replacement) wired like such..

Badge

Says "Load" on the left, "Line" on the right, had it wired black lead to the top and white to the bottom on "Line" side

So the black and white wires on the "line" side are to the cord you plug into the wall, yes?

Hook the black and white wires that run to the motor to the two screws on the "load" side.