Thread: Creek Crisis Averted...New Turning Photo

Creek Crisis Averted...New Turning Photo

It appears that the crisis that was looming has been averted so I feel comfortable posting a new turning. This one is 7-1/2" diameter x 5-1/2" tall and has 258 pieces. Walnut and Maple. I have been commissioned (1st time) to make one with this design, probably a little different form. Any help with pricing such a piece would be appreciated. As always, comments both positive and negative are welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (106.6 KB, 322 views)

Sorry Keith...I can't help...It is priceless. I want some of your patience and skill....also priceless
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

another great work of art...

Here is a link where you might get some ideas on pricing.

http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Crafts/Woodcraft/Woodturning/

Very nice Keith, beautiful piece.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I have not made any segmented pieces as beautiful as the ones you have posted. The amount of work, the time involved in them makes them very difficult to price. For that reason I have never considered selling them and only give them away to people I love. For a commissioned piece I always agree upon a price before I start. I know that none of that helps answer your question. But the quality and beauty of your work makes it way out of my price range. Just beautiful, Keith!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thumbs up

MMMMMMMM, that's a BEAUTY! You guys that turn out these segmented pieces amaze me. One of these days I might have to give them a shot, if I can find my CMS.

Nice work Keith!
    Just look at a few seg turnings on turners web sites to help you with getting a price. You do some nice work and I think you deserve a nice price tag to go with it.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

I saw some seg. work this weekend at the Mesquite Festival. As I recall something like that would have a minimum price between $250-300.

That's a great looking piece Keith. If Cecil saw some at a show for 250- 300, then I would think a commissioned piece would be considerably more.

Ernie

Keith, I am impressed with the beauty, amount of work, and workmanship in this bowl. I am unable to help you in pricing.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

That is some very nice work Keith. Wow!!

Kent

Thanks for you kind comments !

I would start that at $500 minimum Keith. Actually I would start around $700 and leave some room for bargaining. Don't forget to get half up front.
    Experience is knowledge gained, right after you needed it.

Keith,
    Spent all evening yesterday on the lathe, thinking about this piece. The fact is, I think it falls under the classification of something that can not be pricetagged. The amount of time, craftsmanship and material puts it in the $500-$700 arena as Charles suggests....but geez...what a thing of beauty. Your buyer could easily take it to an auction a week later and get $1000-$2000 or more....simply because it is so awesome...and auction buyers are looking for awesome. It begs to be picked up...it begs to be looked at closely...the colors..the design.. everything.

Ok...Praise Rant over. Sorry...just spent a lot of time thinking about it and had to type it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson