Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose Clamps for segment glue ups

Hose Clamps for segment glue ups

I've never used hose clamps in segmenting glue ups. But, I've never used a Wedgie sled and a Wedgie's before either. I feel now, I can glue up an entire ring in one setting. Before I used the rub joint method, pair, pair of pairs of pairs, half rings, then rings etc.

I've been over thinking this new method, and watching YouTube videos, and a lot of people use hose clamps. I guess I've been missing something.

Where do you get them?
    What size do you get?

I know they link them together. But the prices vary widely, and I am sure the quality does as well.
    I've seen from $.69 to $3.00 for a 4" Stainless clamp.
    Where do you get yours?

Thanks
    RP

2. Try an auto parts store or hardware store.

Hey Robert,

I get my clamps on ebay, need to hunt for the "quick release" type ... much easier.

Once you have a means to cut accurate segments, gluing the complete ring is the way to go ... at least it works fine for me. I use the Incra 5000 sled on my table saw and it never fails to repeat the correct angle cut after cut.

Tim

Don't remember the prices but you can find them that go from a couple of inches to 12 or so ... that's what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edington View Post
    I've never used hose clamps in segmenting glue ups. But, I've never used a Wedgie sled and a Wedgie's before either. I feel now, I can glue up an entire ring in one setting. Before I used the rub joint method, pair, pair of pairs of pairs, half rings, then rings etc.

I've been over thinking this new method, and watching YouTube videos, and a lot of people use hose clamps. I guess I've been missing something.

Where do you get them?
    What size do you get?

I know they link them together. But the prices vary widely, and I am sure the quality does as well.
    I've seen from $.69 to $3.00 for a 4" Stainless clamp.
    Where do you get yours?

Thanks
    RP

I get mine from Lee Valley. They sell a kit with a 13 foot band and fasteners. With this you cut them to the size you need. I like them because I do some glue ups that are up to 18" in diameter, so I can get 6 clamps this size. They sell two sizes a 1/2" and a 3/8" wide band. I don't recommend the 3/8" because it is too flimsy and only good for real small rings; you can use rubber bands for those.

Don't buy the cheapies from the big box stores. They are flimsy, tear apart easily and only cause frustration. I don't recall the brand, but I bought some from a high quality hardware store here, and they work well. They cost about 4X as much.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I use Breeze Industrial Products Corporation Hi-Torque clamps. Available in a large variety of sizes. Check out specs at http://www.normaamericasds.com/sites...0Hi-Torque.pdf. I order from Parts Systems Vehicle Parts & Accessories. Check them out at http://www.partssystems.com/shd-hi-t...ose-clamp.html. - John

PS - Remember that clamps can be joined to achieve required diameter. I put together a clamp portfolio that allows me to clamp ring diameters up to 12" with no more than two clamps. - J

I second the recommendation of getting 1/2" clamps instead of 3/8". The 3/8" can work, but they are almost not worth the annoyance. Most of mine are Ideal brand.

One tip for easily tightening or loosening them is to have an electric screwdriver with a nut driver of the size of the tightening hexnut/screwhead. Don't bother using a flathead screwdriver to tighten them as it is obnoxious. If you must go manual, use a manual nutdriver instead. I don't recall the hexnut size but it is a normal one and fairly consistent across most brands of hose clamps.

Also, to reiterate what John King said, yes, you can combine clamps together. Do it all the time.

I have a mixture of them but like the "quick release" type. I get them at auto parts store and are up to 12" diameter. For really big stuff you can put them together.
    Bob

I bought a nice selection from McMaster-Carr. They had them up to 20 inch diameter in quick release. No more connecting them together. I don't remember what they cost but the more I use them, the cheaper they get.

I found that clamps bought at various local stores may not mesh together well because they are made by different manufacturers. Very frustrating running into that problem during a glue up.

Jim

In the midwest I shop for them at Menards. I get the ones in the plumbing department as they are much better than the ones sold in the HVAC department

Personally I use the hose clamps from wherever I can get the best deal, I use them for segmented staves used them for Christmas ornaments, but the secret is proper joints then you don't have to squeeze the crap out of the joints.IMG_8754.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Check out an industrial insulation supply outlet. They have screw style clamps for removable insulation on piping. They have various sizes to fit small and large bore pipe cladding. Most have quick latch/release so tightening is minimal.

Blog Entries
    Some stainless steel clamps do not have stainless screw.

Thank you for all your replies. I decided to order the Ideal Snap Lock type. I also got an assortment of rubberbands.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hoogendoorn View Post
    Personally I use the hose clamps from wherever I can get the best deal, I use them for segmented staves used them for Christmas ornaments, but the secret is proper joints then you don't have to squeeze the crap out of the joints.IMG_8754.jpg

Nice staved birdhouse, Dirk!
    Peter F.