Thread: in-line centrifugal duct fan for DIY dust collector

in-line centrifugal duct fan for DIY dust collector

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.

I've watched numerous videos on DIY dust collection with the cyclones and shop vac. I understand this is not a true dust collector because it does not completely remove all the harmful materials in the air. The shop vac does not have the power to move large volumes of air.

I have a 8" ELICENT AXC 200 B Fan and wanted to know if it would be suited as a power source for dust collection. It's designed for air movement but I don't know if using it for dust collection would clog/damage the bearings in the motor. I'm thinking it would because saw dust would actually flow through the motor/propeller. I looked at pictures of actual dust collector motors and it appears the motor and propeller for saw dust are in different housings.

I'm pretty sure I answered my own question but I want to make sure.

thanks,

http://www.elicent.it/upload/allegat...29f21cc79e.pdf

Matthew,
    I suspect you'll be very disappointed with the air flow. Looking at the fan curve (I converted to Imperial for familairity), you'd get about 300 CFM @ 1.3"H2O. Any restrictions at all (cyclone, duct, or filter), will probably be well in excess of 1.3" of restriction. If so, your flow will be marginal at best.

...And welcome to SMC!

Edit: FWIW - You could route flow from tool >> duct >> cyclone >> filter >> fan and not worry about contamination of the motor, but again you have flow issues.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-04-2017 at 1:13 PM.

A second to Malcolm's comments - the fan curve says you won't get much performance for a dust collector.

HOWEVER....I would suggest it might work fine for air filtration. ~300CFM is typical for a ceiling-mounted air filter, and I'd think you can find a filter that will do a decent job at 5 microns and above with ~1 inH2O pressure drop at that flow. Anyone know of any offhand?

d
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Thanks for the feedback.

I found this website: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dc_basics.cfm

350 CFM need for woodchip and 1000 CFM needed for dust collection.

Regards,