Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USA based Saw and plane makers

Don't forget Caleb James: www.calebjamesmaker.com. His work is impeccable, based on Instagram and other woodworker accolades I've seen heaped on his planes and spokeshaves.

A few people have mentioned Wenzloff and Sons. All the websites I have checked (wenzloff, lee valley, and the best things) are all completely out of ALL Wenzloff saws. I know they are a small family business, but man do I want one haha. It's torture. I live in Oregon and want to support the Oregon company.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Tim and Welcome to the Creek. My abode is right across the river from Oregon. Supporting local businesses is a favorite cause of mine if they can fill my needs in a timely manner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim! It's good to be part of Creek now. Any specific favorite Pacific NW toolmakers that you like to support?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kenney OR View Post
    A few people have mentioned Wenzloff and Sons. All the websites I have checked (wenzloff, lee valley, and the best things) are all completely out of ALL Wenzloff saws. I know they are a small family business, but man do I want one haha. It's torture. I live in Oregon and want to support the Oregon company.
    The last post on his website says he was headed for open heart surgery. I know he has had health issues in the past. I ordered two saw plates from him a few years ago and they took nearly a year to receive- and those were plates with no handles.

6. Good to know. Has anyone here gotten a Wenzloff saw in the past year? That post about heart surgery is exactly a year old.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! It's good to be part of Creek now. Any specific favorite Pacific NW toolmakers that you like to support?
    Well, there is one or two in NW California, Ron Hock and Glenn Drake. If only my wallet could afford Bridge City Tools. Some of those felt nice in my hands.

Do you live near Portland?

There are a few SMC members in the Portland - SW Washington area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thank you. I will look those two up. Bridge City tools are works of art. Very very expensive art.

I lived in Portland for years but now live a few hours south of there. I'm going to the Lie Nielsen event this weekend in Portland, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Tim and Welcome to the Creek. My abode is right across the river from Oregon. Supporting local businesses is a favorite cause of mine if they can fill my needs in a timely manner.

jtk
    I'm just north of both of you - Seattle area

If Adria is still in business I can find no recent references to a place of business. They were not technically U.S. made anyway (Canada).

Awesome! Represent the Pacific NW.

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I will look those two up. Bridge City tools are works of art. Very very expensive art.

I lived in Portland for years but now live a few hours south of there. I'm going to the Lie Nielsen event this weekend in Portland, can't wait!
    I have been thinking of going, but likely won't be able to make it.

jtk

Good to know. Has anyone here gotten a Wenzloff saw in the past year? That post about heart surgery is exactly a year old.
    I used to communicate with Mike, but that was quite a few years ago. I had heard that he was recovering from surgery, but have no update past that. I certainly hope that he is doing well, healthwise. I have 3 of Mike's saws, and they are excellent. However, I bought them years ago before the explosion of popularity. I was wanting to add 2 more saws last year from him, but nobody had what I was looking for, and emails to Mike went un-returned.

I hear Bad Axe makes a great saw from more than one person who owns one, but at more than double the cost of a Wenzloff, I decided to rehab. 2 vintage Disston saws....one from 1927-ish, and a rare #7 that dates in the 1870's range....the plate is amazing. I had to make a new handle, as the original was being held together with spit, bubble gum, bailing wire and 3 nails.
    Jeff

Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but Ron Brese makes phenomenal infill planes.

BTW, LV still has Wenzloff Rip Dovetail saws in stock. I have a couple of Wenzloff panel saws and full size saws. They are very, very good.

Jeff,

I have two Bad Axe saws, 16" tenon filed rip and 14" sash filed crosscut. They are the best back saws I've ever used and cost about the same as current Wenzloff's. I have an Adria dovetail saw that I may part with and replace it with a Bad Axe Stiletto dovetail. I've tried Lie Nielsens at their woodworking shows and there is no comparison (and I love LN planes). You can order a specifically sized handle to fit your hand in a variety of woods. Mark will work with you in all aspects of the build. He responds within a day via email and even sends you his personal cell number in the event you want to discuss the saw at length. Plus you'll get your saw within 5-7 weeks.