Thread: Angled holes on the drill press

Angled holes on the drill press

Happy new year everyone

My drill press has a round cast iron table, and I endeavored to create a series of 25 degree holes in some 1x2 oak. The intent was to create 1/2" holes for oak dowels and use them to create a series of hangers. I thought this would be more interesting than a simple French cleat.

I created a simple fence with a stop block to center the holes, and I used my Forstner bit. The problem is that every hole is a few degrees off center because of the table being at 25 degrees and my fence not being parallel with the drilling axis. Does that make sense?

My question is this: What's the best way to create a fence for scenarios like this? I have no surface on the drill press that I can use to square anything up. I feel like I am making this too complicated.

Any help would be appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Osgood View Post
    My drill press has a round cast iron table, and I endeavored to create a series of 25 degree holes in some 1x2 oak. The intent was to create 1/2" holes for oak dowels and use them to create a series of hangers. I thought this would be more interesting than a simple French cleat.

I created a simple fence with a stop block to center the holes, and I used my Forstner bit. The problem is that every hole is a few degrees off center because of the table being at 25 degrees and my fence not being parallel with the drilling axis. Does that make sense?

My question is this: What's the best way to create a fence for scenarios like this? I have no surface on the drill press that I can use to square anything up. I feel like I am making this too complicated.

Any help would be appreciated..
    I'm not quite clear on your setup, but can you chuck a piece of hardened rod (drill rod) in the drill press and set the table square by using a machinist's square? For drilling angled holes rather than tilt the table I like to create an angled wedge, clamp it to the table, then clamp the work to the wedge. I don't need to do this often but when I do it has always worked ok. That's how I cut angles on my bandsaw too since I don't like to mess with tilting the table.

JKJ

I agree with John. Make an angled jig and then you don't have the problem. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'm not quite clear on your setup, but can you chuck a piece of hardened rod (drill rod) in the drill press and set the table square by using a machinist's square? For drilling angled holes rather than tilt the table I like to create an angled wedge, clamp it to the table, then clamp the work to the wedge. I don't need to do this often but when I do it has always worked ok. That's how I cut angles on my bandsaw too since I don't like to mess with tilting the table.

JKJ
    I actually started that way but I wanted more precision in the angle, so I angled the table. But it's a good point and definitely more straightforward.

I'll take a look at building a jig. Thanks guys..

You might consider gluing or taping a wedged piece to your work piece so that your drill bit starts off perpendicular to the surface to be cut (the wedge). Then remove it after the holes are cut, sand or plane the surface lightly after your holes have been cut to remove the inevitable unevenness.

John's method with a wedge works great.

I have a drill press that tilts, but I still use this method for speed and re-use.

Actually, for angled pegs you could just add a square shim against the fence to tilt the workpiece

Blog Entries
    My drill press table doesn't rotate, so when I want angled holes I have a drill press vise that can be tilted. I set the angle with my Beall Tilt Box. I can clamp it where I want it, clamp the piece and then unclamp and slide long parts through the jaws for multiple holes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I drill angled holes for stools with a wedge that fits around the drill post and has a dowel up threw the center hole in the table . Simple and quick setup and consistent .

Chad,
    I agree with recommendations above. I would add the suggestion that you can check the angle with a bevel gauge before you drill

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by john taliaferro View Post
    I drill angled holes for stools with a wedge that fits around the drill post and has a dowel up threw the center hole in the table . Simple and quick setup and consistent .
    I really like that idea! I'm going to steal it for several purposes.

JKJ