Thread: Outdoor wood for a hot climate?

Outdoor wood for a hot climate?

I am located in Phoenix, AZ and need to make some "outdoor" side tables. They will be for a covered porch. They should never be "out in the rain" but will receive some direct mornings sun. They could get a little moisture if we have a storm with heavy winds.

I am most concerned with them holding up to the extremely low humidity and high temps we have here and have no clue what are good woods for this application so all opinions are welcome.

Ipe, tigerwood, garapa, sapele,

Mesquite is really heavy and stable.Its kinda expensive but maybe not for you since your closer to Texas.
    Aj

I'm in the So Cal desert and used Ipe. It sees full sun and stays flat and strait, and isn't phased by extreme temps ( ~124 degrees F). Bugs don't even think about it. It is on the expensive side and has to be pre-drilled for fasteners as it's very hard. I'm not sure how available thicker boards may be as the ones I used were for decking at about .75" finished thickness.

IMG_5539.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

OP, how much do you want spend? If you're not concerned about "making a statement" with these tables, what about PT lumber or WRC?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I'm in the So Cal desert and used Ipe. It sees full sun and stays flat and strait, and isn't phased by extreme temps ( ~124 degrees F). Bugs don't even think about it. It is on the expensive side and has to be pre-drilled for fasteners as it's very hard. I'm not sure how available thicker boards may be as the ones I used were for decking at about .75" finished thickness.

IMG_5539.jpg
    Beautiful Zen feeling to that wall Dick. Nicely done, both design and execution.

White oak is what I use round here (Southeast) and if it can handle the weather here, it certainly can handle a hot dry climate. I am guessing this wood is not readily available in Arizona but it may be cheaper than exotic woods.

I think most any kind of wood will stand up to hot and dry. I made some Adirondack chairs out of pine and sat them out on the pool deck in Las Vegas, NV for about 5 years. The wood was fine but the UV from the sun was tough on the finish and I ended up painting them the last year I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miltner View Post
    I am located in Phoenix, AZ and need to make some "outdoor" side tables. They will be for a covered porch. They should never be "out in the rain" but will receive some direct mornings sun. They could get a little moisture if we have a storm with heavy winds.

I am most concerned with them holding up to the extremely low humidity and high temps we have here and have no clue what are good woods for this application so all opinions are welcome.
    Another vote for ipe.

I live a few km from Tropic of Capricorn, near 800m of altitude - lots of variation in humidity and temperature. My outdoor stuff, including the picket fence in front of our house, is made of ipe (or angelin - I do not know the name in English). Virtually with zero maintenance.

They were made 25 years ago and just recently they started show some rot signs. I am sure if I had made a minimum maintenance they would be like new...

I know what PT lumber is but am not familiar with WRC.o

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miltner View Post
    I know what PT lumber is but am not familiar with WRC.o
    Western Red Cedar ??
    Dick Mahany.