Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for suggestions on a quality shop vac

looking for suggestions on a quality shop vac

I am in the process of installing dust collection in my shop. The next thing I want to purchase is a real good shop vac for use as dust collection for small power tools clean up of fine dust around my shop (without spewing it back out) etc. Am looking for quiet,very good filtration, long life, and I also would like the models that you can plug your power tools in to it and it turns on when the tool is turned on. At one point about 7-8 years ago I looked at fein and was impressed but short on cash. What brands should I consider now ? really interested in actual owner/user recommendations, not so much reviews. Thanks,Mike.

The vein and festool are the two that get talked about the most. I got a fein at work. I'm amazed at how quiet it is. And you can plug your power tools into it.

Can't comment on the festool, maybe I'll try one at home one of these days. Mortiser or equivalent first.

Fein and Festool are the most popular with other less known ones like Nilfisk. If you really want to set up a whole shop system I suggest you look hard at the Oneida Dust Cobra, not much more than the Festool but in a whole other league if you want to take the time to design a whole shop system. It is whole unit HEPA certified like the better vacuums, while you can add a HEPA filter to standard shop vacs that still doesn't mean they aren't spitting dust back into the shop, and most do.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Save money. Buy a 12g ShopVac, dust deputy, 5g bucket with lid, and an iVac switch for literally hundreds less than the other units. Only down side is it not as quiet as the other two. Spend the savings on other goodies.
    -Lud

I have a Festool and it is very good but very expensive.

I also have recently bought a Ridgid shop vac. It is much quieter than my old Craftsman. You can buy a HEPA filter for it and a switch to turn it on when you turn on a connected tool. You can buy the Ridgid vacuum, an iVac switch, and a HEPA filter for less than $200. Not as good as a Festool or Fein but less than half the cost.

I have a Festool CT26 and am very pleased...with everything but the price.

I have no direct personal experience with the Fein so I offer this only as food for thought. I've read they cheapened the design a few years back and that the new ones aren't nearly the same machines as old.

What about the Bosch shop vacs? They look to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    What about the Bosch shop vacs? They look to be pretty good.
    These cost $549 to $599. In the Festool realm.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-12-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have the 14 Gallon Ridgid, not sure the model number, but they are about $99 At H.D. I had one for 7 years and it burned out. Ridgid said I had to clean the motor head and send it back to them and per their lifetime warranty, they sent me a complete new unit. You can't go wrong with that. It is also very powerful and will take a bag or just filter. I do like the higher end vacuums talked about above, Fein, Festool etc., but I have had really good luck with this one, and Ridgid's customer service is great. I'd chunk the stock hose and go with their orange professions hose, I think its about 12'-0' long and very flexible, runs like $35 for this upgrade

I do have a central collection system for the big tools but I hook up a Ridgid through a DIY Thien top-hat separator on a can setup for the smaller semi-stationary tools that don't require the big suck.

Within the Ridgid is a bag and Hepa filter which rarely needs attention since the top-hat collects all pretty well.

The Feins and Festool collect my portable tools.

In fact I use a Thien top-hat on a 30g can for the main system too. (J. Phil Thien projects)

I have 5 Festool CT'S. Oldest is about 10 years old and still works like new.

As Justin said in post #4, you can save money by assembling your own system from a Shop Vac or home tank or canister style vacuum, an Oneida Dust Deputy, and a 5 gallon bucket with a resealable lid. I'm amazed how well my Dust Deputy works. It does so well that you will rarely need to clean the filter in the vacuum. Everything will end up in the bucket under it. Some home vacuums (I'm thinking of Electrolux) have HEPA filters, so you should be able to assemble a system that is every bit as good as those high dollar vacuums, but likely at an increase in physical size, and save some money. Having a 5 gallon or larger collection reservoir and very little need to clean or replace filters is a big plus for it though.

My system was made using a re-purposed and repaired whole house central vacuum unit, a Dust Deputy, and a 20 gallon metal grease barrel. It's not portable, but is permanently installed in the attic of my shop with the pipes in the shop walls and inlet ports where needed like the original central system had. I also installed an inlet port through the shop wall to outside my shop, so I can use it to vacuum my cars and trucks with the original 25' hose. It does a great job of vacuuming the shop floor and collecting the dust from the smaller shop tools, but of course, using only one tool at a time and not using it with the high dust producers like the Unisaw and the planer. I don't have a HEPA filter on it, but the exhaust goes outside through a port in the roof soffit, so the micro fine dust never gets back into my shop.

Charley

I use a Ridgid 5gal vac recently added a cyclone and HEPA filter. Works great.

Yes, it is a loud. You could build a box with sound barrier if desired.

I have, and use, three different Fein vacs, (3 different sizes), and a Festool CT22. I'm very happy with the performance of all of them. Not too much has been spoken about the ability to adjust suction at the vac, as is available with the Festool. The older Feins also had this ability, (unless it was a really old Fein such as one that i have), but it is no longer available on the newer units. This can be very useful when using the vacuum connected to a Random Orbit Sander, as they tend to operate better when not connected to full suction.

Another item not mentioned is that the higher end vacuums do not use the air pulled in by the vac to cool the motor. The motor on these type vacuums is cooled separately by it's own fan and does not suffer if the airflow is restricted through your vacuum hose. I know that Festool vacuums and the older Feins had the better setup, but haven't checked on the newer Feins as my old ones are not it need of being replaced.

One of the nicest setups you can have is pairing a Festool CT, typically a CT26, with the Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy. It actually mounts atop atop the vacuum and will roll around together with it. It collects the vast majority of whatever you vacuum up, with hardly anything ever making inside the vacuum and into the filter bag. The Festool also has the HEPA filtration, and when using the Dust Deputy, will maintain high suction almost indefinitely, as long as you empty the Dust Deputy when it fills. As mentioned earlier, most of the better vacs out there are much quieter than the cheaper "screamers" that are available.

You've a tremendous number of options available, pretty much limited only by your pocketbook.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    These cost $549 to $599. In the Festool realm.
    Anyone have this Bosch dust extractor ----> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HUCUK6K...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm also one who bought a Ridgid shop vac and use an iVac type control to turn it on when the tool turns on. Then added a router speed control so I can control the amount of vac. Here's a couple of pictures of my setup. I use a bag in the vac, in addition to the filter. Total cost was a lot less than a Fein or Festool.

I have a second vac set up on my miter saw and have a dust deputy front end on it. That one works great also - very little swarf gets to the vac itself.

Mike

Sanding-station1.jpgSanding-station2.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-12-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.