Thread: best way/tool to remove cabinet shelf

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best way/tool to remove cabinet shelf

The late-for-Christmas oven finally showed up last week, and now comes the job of installing it in the cabinet below the new cooktop!

I'm handy with tools, but woodworking is NOT my specialty by a longshot! A couple of issues facing me: how to 'build up' the 34" wide hole so it's the needed 27-1/2" wide, and how to remove the shelf in the cabinet...

I'm not too worried about building-up the hole, but any suggestions are welcome! I'm mostly worried about removing the shelf. These cabinets are 50 years old, solid wood and built well. The shelf has no visible means of support so I'm assuming it was side-stapled and glued-? The only way I can think of to flush-cut the shelf out would be to use a toe-kick saw, which I don't have (but maybe HD would have one for rent?) I probably don't need the sides flush cut, and maybe it it would be wise NOT to, as the bit of shelf edge left would provide a backstop for the hole filler (3/8" plywood?) But the back of the shelf may need to be flush cut for clearance. The only saw in my arsenal that might work is a jig saw, and a recip saw with a bad battery. Harbor Freight is less than a mile away, so there's that

DSC05930.jpg DSC05929.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 01-14-2017 at 1:27 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle