Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Tool Work Bench

Power Tool Work Bench

Do any of you have a workbench you use when using power tools? I have seen all these intricate Neanderthal types of benches but really don't need something that substantial for the garage or farm. What do you folks use that doesn't look like a piece of pristine furniture in your functional shop?

My next power tool workbench will take lots of clues from the Holzwerken Ultimate bench. I will use the UJK Parf guide system to drill a 96mm grid with 20mm holes to use Festool accessories on one side and standard 3/4" dog holes on the other with a tail and side vice for handtool work. It will also double as a assembly table. I know it makes the bench too wide for the handtool crowd but I think it will work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cepg2DAkKQE
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I use a simple bench...

IMG_0416.jpgIMG_0431.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    My next power tool workbench will take lots of clues from the Holzwerken Ultimate bench. I will use the UJK Parf guide system to drill a 96mm grid with 20mm holes to use Festool accessories on one side and standard 3/4" dog holes on the other with a tail and side vice for handtool work. It will also double as a assembly table. I know it makes the bench too wide for the handtool crowd but I think it will work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cepg2DAkKQE
    Very cool, and from the side it kinda looks like a really nice foosball table!

Jack,

Is there a bench in that picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I use a simple bench...

IMG_0416.jpgIMG_0431.jpg

Van,

That's one heck of a bench, but I'm having difficulty understanding their English. It looks like you can download the plans....

My main work table is a 4x8 torsion box about 4" thick that sits on sawhorses. I have several others in various widths for different things. They typically live on edge in a corner of the shop until needed
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve,

My bench can look a lot like Jack's bench, but it does get entirely cleaned a couple times a week. Having it on edge in a corner until used would mean putting it up every day. These days it sees far more tinkiering and carpentry than woodworking. A torsion box seems good. The one in Van's link was similar to that in some ways.

I use a solid core door with a frame built from doubled up 2 x 4's.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Van,

That's one heck of a bench, but I'm having difficulty understanding their English. It looks like you can download the plans....
    Yeah, I think they must be from north of the Mason Dixon 'cause it ain't my English. I have the plans or more specifically the two magazines the article and plans were in. The metric I could handle but had to spend a lot of time with google translate to understand some of the specifics of construction. I found it interesting he used so much Lee Valley stuff.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I do not yet have a hand tool bench. My outfeed table/workbench was inspired by Ron Paulk's workbenches. I bought some of his plans for the ideas. My workbench is 3 feet by 7 feet and has a two layer top of 3/4 plywood separated 8 inches by spacers. The top surface is bored with 20mm holes using a special router base and pegboard on 4 inch centers. I use this with a lattice of 1x2s for cutting up sheet goods with my track saw. But I also do assembly on it. I have jigs that reference off the 20mm holes and establish 90 degree angles which are very useful for glueup. The attach with wing nuts making them pretty solid, good enough to put cabinet pieces against during assembly. I have some Grizzly track saw clamps I insert through the holes to hold pieces down. It rolls around on 6 totally locking casters. I am very happy with this worksurface but will probably add a small "new fangled workbench" for hand tools.

I use a pair of torsion beams most of the time. There a lots of variations, but mine are about 5" x 9" x 8' long. They get placed on a couple of saw horses. When not in use they get hung off a post in the shop.

These are useful for just about every aspect of woodworking; hand tools, power tools, assembly, etc. I built mine about 8 years ago and they are still flat. A year or two ago I flipped the MDF skins to expose fresh surfaces.

There are a few things I really like about this set up; it's mobile, easy to make, stays flat, lots of clamping options, and versatile. It's easy to change bench heights, place them close together or far apart to suit the various tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Steve,

My bench can look a lot like Jack's bench, but it does get entirely cleaned a couple times a week. Having it on edge in a corner until used would mean putting it up every day. These days it sees far more tinkiering and carpentry than woodworking. A torsion box seems good. The one in Van's link was similar to that in some ways.
    Actually the 4x8 stays on the sawhorses all the time. It's the others that I set up as needed
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    My benches at work....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I use a solid core door with a frame built from doubled up 2 x 4's.
    Joe
    This is what i have used for my bench for over 20 years now and has been great. It is solid and flat, been worked on and beat on and still works well. I have looked into building a traditional bench several times but just never have, been pleased wth this one.