Thread: Skil 1823 router help

Skil 1823 router help

I have had a Skil 1823 plunge router for several years. A few years ago, I built a very basic router table for it from a piece of formica laminated plywood counter top. I made a plate from 1/4" plexiglass to fit the router, and inset it into the table.
    I just completed a rough adjustable fence for it.
    I want to make a zero clearance insert for my old Craftsman table saw. The plexi router table insert has a 2 1/8" hole to clear the router bits, but no provision for a zero clearance insert for the router. Today, while browsing various forums for pattern routing, I read about using a starting pin. I had never heard of that before, and want to add one to my router table.
    So, does anyone have a Skil 1823 router? Have you made zero clearance inserts for it? Know of any after market inserts that will fit this router?
    Problem is, Skil no longer has any inserts for this model. My pensions and budget won't allow for a better router/table. I want to come up with a suitable insert I can add either to the plexi insert or the router itself. I will make it if nothing suitable s available. Need ideas...
    I am just starting to learn the potential of my router, including pattern routing, making rabbits and dados, box joints, etc.

Chuck

Not sure of the problem you are trying to solve? A start pin doesn't need to be right next to the router cutter so why not mount a start pin close to the edge of your existing 2 1/8 hole? It doesn't even need to be a pin - just a support that you can use as a fulcrum to stop the part being machined from being pulled in and thrown by the router bit (a piece of wood clamped to the table will work). If you still have an existing insert for your table saw, just use that as a template for the saw ZCI and a bearing cutter. See this video for an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=5sDHctfXS1M

Thanks, Andy. Liked the video. I'll set up a few holes in the plexi for a pin and make some pins. I have a couple of blanks roughed out for the saw inserts, using manufactured laminate flooring and good plywood.. The original saw insert is a real thin one, so will need to be pattern routed and then rabbited to fit. My lack of experience with the router is generating the questions. Scary when doing these kinds of things for the first time.

Chuck

No problem Chuck - understood that it can be a bit nerve wracking. To make it as safe as possible use the methods in the video to keep your hands away from the router bit. You can even put a guard over the top of the bit (a circle of plexi mounted on spacers works fine and you can use one of the spacers as a start pin)

I managed to make a 3/8" dia start pin on my metal lathe, and thread it 1/4-20, and cut a screw slot in the top. I also successfully drilled and tapped a couple holes in the plexi router plate for the pin just in front of and to the right of the bit location.
    I think I will wait until tomorrow to try it. Thanks for the help and the confidence boost.
    Oh, while I'm thinking of it, after I 'pattern route' the saw insert, I have to rabbit the edge to fit into the slot. The original saw insert is aluminum and only .090" thick. Should I use the fence to route the rabbit?
    The pattern bit I have is 1/2", and I do have a 3/8" bearing on another bit. Would it help to change to the smaller bearing on the pattern bit and run the rabbit with it? Can you tell, I've not done this before?

Chuck

Chuck, as long as you have sufficient thickness on your newly cut saw ZCI to act as a bearing surface then sounds like a good plan to use the smaller bearing to produce the rabbet. Will only give you a rabbet of 1/16" wide though, is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Chuck, as long as you have sufficient thickness on your newly cut saw ZCI to act as a bearing surface then sounds like a good plan to use the smaller bearing to produce the rabbet. Will only give you a rabbet of 1/16" wide though, is that enough?
    I think I measured the lip at 1/8 in, so no, it won't be enough. Do they make a router bit bearing smaller than 3/8"? Or a bigger dia pattern bit that will take my 3/8" bearing?

Chuck

They certainly make bigger pattern bits - either that or you could get a rabbet cutter with different bearing diameters such as this http://www.routerbitworld.com/Freud-...d%2032-522.htm. Depends which one you'll get more use from

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    They certainly make bigger pattern bits - either that or you could get a rabbet cutter with different bearing diameters such as this http://www.routerbitworld.com/Freud-...d%2032-522.htm. Depends which one you'll get more use from
    I'll have to see what Lowe's has. I'd probably use a rabbit bit more, but really don't know.

Chuck