Thread: wedged tenons with ...

wedged tenons with ...

wedged tenons with ... gorilla glue? (who knew!)

http://www.wbgu.org/americanwoodshop/season24.html

I thought this was very interesting; I'd always considered the expansion of this glue to be a confounding factor, rather than an opportunity.

Matt

Blog Entries
    My experience with polyurethane glue is that the foam is not very strong and is not desireable. I've also found that there is no need to dampen the wood. In fact you get far more foaming if you dampen the wood than if you don't. There is sufficient moisture in the air and wood, even at 7%, to cure the glue. By not using water you will have less foaming and less clean up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My experience with polyurethane glue is that the foam is not very strong and is not desireable. I've also found that there is no need to dampen the wood. In fact you get far more foaming if you dampen the wood than if you don't. There is sufficient moisture in the air and wood, even at 7%, to cure the glue. By not using water you will have less foaming and less clean up.
    That's what i've read as well, more foam is not better. The only place moistening may be necessary is desert climates where wood moisture can be less than 6% moisture.