Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i need a better RO sander

I own a few Festool sanders, so I'm spoiled. However, I recently used a RIDGID 5" cordless sander on a project and I was pretty impressed with it. You just have to remember to vacuum in-between grits and go very slowly when sanding so you don't get swirl marks. The bag also did a decent job collecting most of the dust.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Miller View Post
    I have a Dewalt RO sander, it's a single speed one I picked years ago, it works but when I sand my end grain cutting boards its a hell of a fight to get some scratches out, even only going from 80 to 120

I Have to hold it sideways and let the edge work to get it out.

I would like something I can hold flat and will do the work for me

I would like to stay with 5inch if possible becuase i have a lot paper for the 5inch 8 hole already
    Get 60 grit. We deal with this all the time. 40 grit if you can find it...

I have a mirka ceros and it does not make sanding end grain cutting boards any easier than with my Bosch. You need the right grit sandpaper.

I got the ROS65 Bosch, it is amazing for me so far, I can see where i might need to get the 1250DEVS to go along with it.

I just used it sand a couple boards to finish them after salad bowl finish, I got the ABRNET discs and hook up to my DC, I get 0 dust, the finsh is amazing i did from 240-600 grit, and you could almost use it as a mirror!

I have not used it to try and get sanding line out yet will do that today how even i have high hopes

tried it off a band saw rip and on some stock i sent through the drum sander with 36 grit on it,

I had 80 grit on the ROS65 (lowest I have right now) and it took the stuff from both of these out very very fast

compared to my old one this actually worked I just had to go over the board a few times

again I can see where the 1250DEVS would be needed in some cases for fast remove of a lot of stock, but I have other tools for that, so unless what im working on can't be moved or does not fit I think this will suit me for a while

Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Miller View Post
    tried it off a band saw rip and on some stock i sent through the drum sander with 36 grit on it,

I had 80 grit on the ROS65 (lowest I have right now) and it took the stuff from both of these out very very fast

compared to my old one this actually worked I just had to go over the board a few times

again I can see where the 1250DEVS would be needed in some cases for fast remove of a lot of stock, but I have other tools for that, so unless what im working on can't be moved or does not fit I think this will suit me for a while

Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice

Glad you are happy that is a very good sander.

As to the 1250, Rotex and all the other dual mode sanders they can be VERY aggressive but difficult to control. Given you have a DS the only time I would suggest you add a dual mode sander is if you need rapid stock removal on parts you can't send through the DS such as curves or doing refinishing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.