Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitered Cabinet Doors

Mitered Cabinet Doors

I am matching 3 cabinet doors to an existing kitchen. The stiles and rails are mitered. I have a mini biscuit joiner that I would use to strengthen the joint, but it just broke on me. The question is, is glue alone strong enought for this type of joint? I don't have a doweling jig, but i could just add a dowel or two in each corner. I was considering replacing the biscuit joiner, but I just don't use it often. I often read here that biscuits and dowels are more for alignment than strength, but with such little glue surface for the mitered joints l wanted to get opinions. TIA.

Blog Entries
    When gluing mitered joints you are essentially gluing an end grain joint. Glue starvation is the most likely cause for joint failure. Apply a wet coating of glue to both sides of each joint. For added strength you could use pocket hole screws from the back and then fill the pockets with plugs. Make sure your 45's are precise so that all four corners close up properly. Any gaps will weaken the joint.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Can you cut a slot into the length of the two mating mitered ends for a spline?

Make a clamping jig, glue, countersink screws from top and bottom and plugs. It will work fine.

I just built some doors and drawers that were mitered. MLCS sells a slot cutter and round biscuits for this purpose which is what I used for the doors. For the drawer front rails and stiles I made a jig to mount my PC biscuit joiner to and used face frame biscuits since the rail and stile material was narrower that that used for the doors.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

One method to create these and still have an extremely strong joint is to do a lapped miter joint. It takes some work, but you get the look of the miter and about the strongest joint you can do in a small place at the same time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I made a few mitered doors using biscuits and I now see cracks at some of those joints. If I build more of them I will use loose tenons at the joints. A spline would be a close approximation if you can't cut mortises on angled parts. You could even glue them up without reinforcement and then add a spline from the outside afterwards, either matching or contrasting. I've even seen people drill a hole across the back of the glued up joint with a large Forstner bit and glue in a plug, sort of a round Dutchman. In any case, I'd use some sort of reinforcement.

John

It's clear that reinforcement is needed. I liked adding a spline idea, until I read half lap miter. That may be the way I go, I'll have to do some test cuts. Thanks for the ideas

+1 on the spline - easy to do

Blog Entries
    Many of us abandoned biscuit joints shortly after trying them (many years ago).

I would go with half laps or splines.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Many of us abandoned biscuit joints shortly after trying them (many years ago).

I would go with half laps or splines.
    And then there are others among us who could not live without their biscuit joiners and the strong, accurate, efficient results they get with them when used properly.

Regarding the OP's issue, if you have a way of making the cut, a spline would be a fine solution. I might glue up using a first coat of glue size to deal with the endgrain starvation issue. Once glued, then you could reinforce with a dowel or two without a doweling jig. You could countersink the dowel and plug the hole with the same wood as the frame or a contrasting wood like someone above who suggested countersunk screws. Or you could cut the dowel off flush and proceed to finishing. The answer might depend on what tools you have available.

Blog Entries
    I used biscuits for years, but grew disenchanted with them. I found while they aided in alignment, the joints were subject to failure if subjected to forces not normally encountered.
    I find mortise and tenon joints to be more substantial and less likely to fail.

Do not assume that because someone does not like the joint, they don't know how to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I used biscuits for years, but grew disenchanted with them. I found while they aided in alignment, the joints were subject to failure if subjected to forces not normally encountered.
    I find mortise and tenon joints to be more substantial and less likely to fail.

Do not assume that because someone does not like the joint, they don't know how to make them.
    Lowell,

I did not say (or mean to say) you don't know how to make biscuit joints or any joints for that matter. I was only offering the testimonial that I have enjoyed strong, accurate and efficient results when I use biscuits properly. I believe I've cut at least 2000 biscuit joints in various applications over the course of 20 some years. The only single failure I have ever seen was early on due to improper application and technique on my part, learning curve you might say.

It has been my experience that biscuit joinery is an excellent technique to keep in a woodworker's arsenal to go along with many other joinery techniques. It's not a case of "better than" or "worse than" another type of joinery. It truly depends on the circumstances and the application. For example, I agree with you, mortise and tenon joints are strong, but there are circumstances when they are not appropriate or realistic despite their strength.

Regarding the OP's question, several responses, including mine, have recommending using a spline. To me a biscuit is a form of spline.

Dowels are not just for alignment. They will strengthen a joint tremendously. To be successful, however, you need a very good doweling jig like the JessEm or Dowelmax. The inexpensive self centering type is not good enough in my opinion. It may not be worth it to you for just one project. I think the spline idea is a good one and it is a little less challenging to cut than the half lap miter.

If you've wanted a domino, this would be an excellent application for one on a small scale.