Thread: Custom Scroll Saw Stand - Anti-Vibration!

Question Custom Scroll Saw Stand - Anti-Vibration!

I'm working on a new stand for my Excalibur scroll saw. I used to keep it on a cheap Harbor Freight table, not bolted down, but with the rubber feet on. I couldn't really use the higher speed settings with that setup without the saw trying to move off the table.

This is what I've built so far:

I've been copying a bit of the design that's floating around the net, but made it backwards for leg room and for better weight distribution since saw is heavier by the motor assembly.

I need the saw tilted at an angle like this:

To me, the plans seem pretty weak for mounting the saw to the base/legs of the table. You got all these thick, strong parts put together and only use 2 raised parts in the back and 2 screws on the front:

I bought some 3/4" MDF to mount the saw to, but I think I'll forget about that idea. Maybe mount the saw to 2 pieces of 2x4 with a taper/bevel on them at the angle I want laid across the base/legs (in line with mounting holes of the saw)?

Eh, I think the saw will vibrate a whole lot less from just being bolted down to something, but anyways, any other suggestions?
    Last edited by John Carmack; 01-20-2017 at 8:15 AM.

Nice stand. I like the idea of just one front leg in the middle. Good thinking.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Almost finished now:

I want to find some plastic tubes to store the saw blades in and have holes for them somewhere to slide in on the stand.

I went all out and sanded it all up to 220; then stained and shellac'd it.

Used a 2x6 in the back and cut slots for the saw base's feet to fit into at the 5 degree angle and also have several neoprene washers under the feet acting as shims and vibration dampeners. I can change the angle if I don't like it by adding or subtracting more of the washers:

The best part is not having to try to hold the scroll saw down at higher speeds or worrying it's going to fall off the table.

This is a nice stand to say the least. I think Hegner scroll saws come with a three legged stand, but they're made of metal. Your stand looks much nicer.

nice stand, John. Just a thought, but if you're still havin' trouble with vibration, try using the rubberized shelf liner. I'm a Hawk owner myself, & my saws are on their own stands & casters. I like your idea for the saw stand.
    Sawdust703

Blog Entries
    It is a nice looking stand, but I think you are still going to have vibration problems. When I used to work at a company where we used a lot of vibratory feeders, the feeders had rubber feet that fit into circular rings mounted on the tables. The table tops were made of heavy steel to dampen the vibration. I would suggest enclosing the top frame of your stand with plywood and filling the cavity with sand or better still lead shot to dampen the vibration. Many wood turners fill the bases of their lathes with sand to eliminate the vibration.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-22-2017 at 9:17 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute