Thread: Finishing Trim around Concrete Ledge

Finishing Trim around Concrete Ledge

Hello,

I framed an office into my garage and I need to trim out this concrete ledge you can see in the pictures. The rise is about 3.5" and the ledge itself is about 2-3" out from the wall. I was thinking about simply a 1x4 up and then a 1x3 capping it (finished). Then I was debating about a baseboard on top of that or simply leaving the ledge wrapped in finished wood. Any thoughts? Other ideas?

Thank you for the help and advice.

Trim (2).jpgTrim (1).jpgTrim (3).jpg

Crap just noticed the height of the foundation is inches pround of the subfloor not fractions of a inch. I would go with option number two and either furr out the walls fooor to ceiling or build the small ledge...

If the hardewood floor is not down you could bring up the height of the subfloor so it extends over the sill of the foundation. If this creates a transition problem to another room make up a custom threashold.

If not i would tapcon or hilti a 2x4 over the sill then frame out a small ledge like a pipe was there. You could make it as small as 6" by the depth of the exposed concrete or as deep and tall as you want. I probably had had framed the wall out to the inside edge of the sill if i could had. A 36" x 6 ledge capped with 5/4 bullnosed board and a scotia underneath could be ok..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-18-2017 at 7:34 AM.

I would fir out the wall 3" or so high flush with edge of concrete and cover with baseboard.

I would put an angle on the board to reduce dust collection.

4. i agree with the idea of robert put an angle on the board to reduce some dust that might be collected.

I'd box it and try to make it emulate visually a taller base molding that would be used along the walls that don't have the foundation protrusion. The suggestion for a slight angle on the top of the boxed portion is good and will make keeping it clean easier.

For example, the base trim in our home is 6" tall with a single bead at the top to match the double bead used for door and window trim. So if I were faced with the situation in the photos above, I'd box the 'crete and round the edge of the front corner of the box. I'd then add another board on the actual wall that matches the height of adjacent trim with the same design to finish. In my case, it would be a board with a single bead. In that manner, the whole room would be visually the same, despite the little ledge that covers the exposed foundation foot.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-18-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think I would build up the curb to the height of whatever baseboard trim you are using—plus a small reveal (+/- 3/16”), so the result , visually, is an “extra-thick” baseboard: