Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal on shaper/feeder?

Lightbulb Good deal on shaper/feeder?

I have a line on a delta shaper (43-379) with a 1/4hp delta feeder. It has lived its life in a hobbiest shop and seems to be in excellent shape. I'm interested in upgrading my router table to better able myself to make cabinet doors and raised panels. Now that I'm learning about shapers, I'm quickly realizing how little I know about shaper setup, especially when it comes to spindles, cutters, etc. Clearly $$$ adds up quick with these extras. I know this setup doesn't come with any spindles. $750 is price. Knowing I'll at minimum need tooling to run rails and styles/raised panels, is this a good deal or should I keep looking? I'm not opposed to using my existing router bits, but it appears a 1/2" collet is damn near impossible to find. Thanks for any direction!

What size shaper is this? You would want a 3/4" spindle to run door parts.

This shaper is 3hp.

If it really doesn't have a spindle, I think that would be a no-go. There are extras around, but not cheap. Mine came with both a 1" and 1/2" spindles, I've never used the smaller one.

Since I acquired feeder I've been using the shaper a lot more, and would not go back to a router table for the bigger cutters and bigger jobs. I made all the cherry mouldings for our house, a task I wouldn't have wanted to do on a router table. There's a learning curve to using one, but well worth it, I'm finding.

I paid about $400 for the same shaper, but it came with three stile/rail carbide cutter sets, a half dozen carbide panel raising cutters, and a whole box full of spacers and adapters. I've added an Amana insert cutter that gives a lot of flexibility for a reasonable price. You will quickly spend more on cutters than on the machine itself if you buy them new.

That is a tiny feeder for a 3hp shaper. I also think that price is high for that shaper. I am also not a fan of the fence on that shaper and would look for a replacement there as well. Just my .02.

I would keep looking personally.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

1/4 hp feeder is not very powerful.

No spindles -No Go. The spindles are hard to come by and very expensive. I also like to run router bits on mine. A while back I was looking for a shaper and found many Deltas that looked reasonably priced until you look at trying to find spindles and router collets. If you want a Shaper now then look at the Grizzly G1026. I started out with one. The fence is not that great but neither will most of the ones on CL at that price range.

+1

1/2" spindle shapers are not worth much as a router will do most everything they can do. 3/4 spindle minimum....

Thanks. So looking at eBay, it appears a used 3/4" spindle is about $100. After another $200+ for cutters and panel bit, I'm at $1050. 1/2" router collet appears another $1-200, if I can find one.

I'm guessing for less than $1250 I could find better deal on used shaper and more powerful feeder if I'm patient?

Feeders are expensive. At least good ones. Minimum 1hp I have some that are bigger.

I will never go back to anything smaller than a 1 1/4" spindle.

Be careful. There are 2 different spindle tapers. I don't know which one your machine uses. There was somebody over at OWWM that would make spindles for the Delta using a Grizzly spindle. I don't know which taper he was doing. It was to much hassle for me to go the Delta route when I was looking. I got a 1hp feeder(3phase) on CL of $200 so deals do pop up from time to time. I would also look into the Amana, CMT, etc insert cutter heads. The heads are about $120 and the different knives are about $20 a pop.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to pass on this one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    1/4 hp feeder is not very powerful.
    1/4 HP is actually lots of power for the feeder, the issue with 1/4 HP feeders is that they have smaller wheels and les hold down force than 1/2 HP feeders and above.

1/4 HP is 8,250 lbft/minute which means neglecting losses, that a 1/4 HP feeder at 20 feet/minute could lift a 400 pound object.

It will certainly be able to push a piece of wood across a table..............Regards, Rod.

For light use (almost all work) a 1/2HP feeder is the perfect balance.

Blog Entries
    Passing was a smart decision. I picked up my 3hp delta shaper with collects, spindles and a large pile of cutters for $450. My grizzly 5hp slider with tilting spindle and 1/2 hp feeder was 1k.

For anyone lookong the grizzly spindles have the correct taper, the issue is minor diameter is too large. Easy to fix if you have a metal lathe.

Its not a bad deal.
    This guy has spindles, cartridges and also a collet assembly for your router bits he is a good guy and reasonable prices. Also very knowledgeable on Delta shapers.
    http://ae-tool.com/
    And the power feeder is plenty adequate.