Thread: Another lacquer question

Another lacquer question

I made two Santas for my grandkids last month. They are 5' tall and made of wood. They are finished in (craft store) acrylic latex paint. I want to put some type of protective film finish over the paint to protect it. The paint is flat and I want the film finish to be flat also. I just ordered several cans (rattle) of oil based lacquer, but recently a friend told me that she put a lacquer over latex paint and it peeled after about a year. So, now I am wondering if I will have a problem with the lacquer adhering to the paint. Will oil based lacquer adhere to acrylic paint? If not, will water based lacquer adhere? Is water based lacquer even available in a flat finish rattle can? The Santas will be outside, but protected from rain/snow. Thanks for your help.
    Dick

I'm not sure what "oil-based" lacquer is. Traditionally lacquer is termed solvent based in which resins are dissolved in lacquer thinner solvent. The solvent is very strong and could quite likely damage other finishes applied under it. While with the light applications of rattle can might not immediately rumple the acrylic paint it could weaken it. I would not recommend a lacquer overcoat, particularly for exterior application. It's not the rain or snow that would damage exterior finishes, though they could accelerate the deterioration of a finish once it has become damaged. Mostly is is SUN (UV light) that is the danger for exterior finishes. Were this mine, I would overpaint with a high quality oil based paint. Marine paint would be good, if pricey. The pigmented paint would be more protective than a clear paint. For a clear paint, I would gwith a 2 part polyurethane, though that would be really pricey. Quality spar varnish would darken the colors quite substantially and wouldn't be a good choice.

Thanks for the answer Steve. Guess I will have to rethink this.
    Dick