Here is the situation. I just received a $1,000 bonus from work, and the better news is that SWMBO even agreed to let me spend it all on tools. HOORAY!

So, the quandry is exactly what to spend it on. I have narrowed it down to an 8" jointer or a large bandsaw. I currently have a Jet 6" jointer that works well, but it limits the size and length of stock I can accurately joint. I do not have any bandsaw.

Option 1: A local woodworker has a pristine Delta DJ-20 X5 series that is about a year old with light use. Since it is the X5 series is still has 4 years on the transferable warranty. Long warranties don't noramally sway my purchase decisions, but it is a nice to have. Along with the jointer he is including a brand new complete cutterhead assembly w/knives (retail $450), and Delta mobile base (retail $90). He will sell me everything for $1,000.

Option 2: Redmond Machinery has remanufactured DJ-20 jointers for $1,050. Salesman at Redmond said that they are essentially new units. Most of these units are returns due to box damage, missing parts, or delivery damaged parts that have been replaced. I will have to drive to Atalanta to pick up this unit which means I will have to pay Georgia sales tax ~ 6%. That puts the cost at $1,113, but I would still need to buy a mobile base and possibly an extra set of knives about $175. That would push the total cost to $1,288.

Option 3: I just received the Grizzly Holiday Savings catalog. I can get the Grizzly GO500 8" Jointer w/ 4 blade cutterhead, 2HP motor, and 75" table for $773 including shipping. I have other Grizzly tools, but I couldn't find many reviews for this specific jointer. The main concern I have is that this unit has two 5" cast iron extensions mounted to the ends of the infeed and outfeed tables. I like the idea of a 75" bed but I worry that the extensions will move, or otherwise be a hassle sometime in the future.

Option 4: Another Grizzly 8" jointer for sale. The 1018HW is an 8" jointer very similiar to the above model except that it has a 3 knife cutterhead, 1 1/2 HP motor, but only a 65" table. This jointer w/ shipping is only $673.

Options 1 and 2 would use up my entire bonus and them some with option 2, but it would be the last jointer I would ever need. Options 3 and 4 would give me an 8" jointer, but not a DJ-20, however I would have extra money (HMMM, I also saw some Grizzly bandsaws for sale).

Thanks for everyone's input.

Eric