Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Maker Disappointments

1. If you look at the Blackburn site, you'll find that Mr. Smith has posted that he is so aggravated by his two year backlog of saw orders that he has stopped accepting new saw orders and is working down his two year backlog as quickly as he can. It may be that he just hasn't gotten to your order and is concentrating on getting the backlog cleared and ignoring his e-mail. As near as I can tell, your situation is not the norm among his customers and would-be customers. Do try again.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    If you look at the Blackburn site, you'll find that Mr. Smith has posted that he is so aggravated by his two year backlog of saw orders that he has stopped accepting new saw orders and is working down his two year backlog as quickly as he can. It may be that he just hasn't gotten to your order and is concentrating on getting the backlog cleared and ignoring his e-mail. As near as I can tell, your situation is not the norm among his customers and would-be customers. Do try again.

i have updated my posts. I emailed again and received a quick refund.

And I stand corrected.
    Paul

issac is also a member of this forum. He doesn't log in that often. No doubt a reflection of his busy work schedule. I sent him a private message making him fully aware of what was being mentioned on this thread. I would imagine he is feeling rather disappointed at not being afforded more of an opportunity to resolve any concerns in a more private manner.

Stewie;

I am a very satisfied customer of Blackburn Tools. I have had several orders with Isaac, and I was satisfied with each and every saw.

IMHO, he is a stand up guy.

It looks like Old Street Tools is catching up on his back log. He had a few tools posted on Instagram. I am happy to see this.

Sometimes boutique tool makers get overwhelmed. I am willing to be patient in return for quality.

Some custom muzzle loading rifle builders have a 2-3 year backlog, very common.

I currently have a saw on order that was promised in October. Not Blackburn, but another saw maker that people here would recognize.

Am I worried? No. The saw will be ready when it is ready, and I will be delighted when I receive it.

Quality takes time, but I agree, it is smart to have good communications with your customers.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

"Another thing about small makers is that they go through rough times and growing pains."
    Yep. Absolutely. As frustrating as it may be; things happen that we just can not always control. Crow is never a tasty meal, but we grow stronger from it and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    issac is also a member of this forum. He doesn't log in that often. No doubt a reflection of his busy work schedule. I sent him a private message making him fully aware of what was being mentioned on this thread. I would imagine he is feeling rather disappointed at not being afforded more of an opportunity to resolve any concerns in a more private manner.

Stewie;
    You are right. I was disappointed when I realized it had been so long. I went back and ameliorated my comments (though I know that those who originally read the comments got the not so nice versions). When I reached out he did respond quickly and I wasn't aware what was going on in his life and business when he didn't respond previously. My apologies to him and those who might have been unfairly influenced with my rash comments.

One thing that I will point out, if your original efforts to reach out were rebuffed, I think you had every right to be pissed off. And people who are getting in your face about that are out of line.
    Paul

Tony. You ordered a saw in June of 2014. You previously tried to communicate and didn't receive feedback. Two and a half years later, you got a refund. Life happens. I appreciate that you've been made to feel guilty for communicating that information, and you've handled it with grace. I'm not particular to all of the details of the transaction, but I don't think your comments were egregiously out of line.

I too, prefer to support the smaller makers. I've ordered a saw from one, and was told that it would ship in X number of weeks. I waited for one week past that date to email and ask about delivery. I was then told it would ship the next day. A week later the saw finally shipped. It's the finest saw I own, and I'll buy quite a few more. That being said, I will have no qualms with giving another member of this forum my customer support experience, if it's relevant.

I guess I firmly believe in the philosophy of "Don't over promise and under deliver."