Thread: Lowering the Gloss Level, Water Base Lacquer

Lowering the Gloss Level, Water Base Lacquer

Hello All,

For some reason I can't seem to think of how to lower the gloss level of a water based lacquer. I'm doing a small job and I wanted to use water base because I will be doing some touch up in the person's home. What I'm using is Target EM6000, it is left over from a job ages ago and it seems to be ok. Recommendations of how to take it from a SATIN to a DULL finish. I should just go to Target's site and see shouldn't I ? I will welcome any input.

Thank you all
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Ben, might get more feedback in the Project Finishing forum

You can buy a commercial flatter for WB products, or you can add baby powder. In the end, it might just make more sense to buy a product with the gloss level you need.

John

Hi John
    really don't want to spend $75.00 for 10ft of wood. Other than commercial products you can't find the lower gloss products at the local hardware. Sure I can go to my supplier 25 miles away and spend a lot of money on something that will set in the cabinet for the next two years. See my point. If I can find a flattener I'd like that before buying a product I won't use. I do however thank you for the reply I've never heard of the baby powder. I can give that a try. It's the talcum powder that does it? I did contact Target Finishes after I posted here. I'll see if they respond tomorrow.

After you shoot the lacquer and it's well cured, take some fine steel wool and mineral oil and rub the finish. This will take down the shine. Start with very fine steel wool and if that's not dull enough for you, go to a coarser steel wool.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yes, the talcum powder is what does it. I had to add around 5 wt% once to cut a flat sheen to really flat.

Mike is right about using 0000 steel wool. That works great on flat surfaces, but is less fun to do uniformly on curved and intricate surfaces.

John

MicroMesh pads.

John

thanks for the tip about the baby powder. I tried a few tests to day and it works. Just need to adjust the amount to add. Target Finishes got back to me and suggested to just rub it out with my preference of steel wool or 1000 grit paper or whatever. I stopped at my local Sherwin Williams and the girl didn't know they sold WB lacquers. She was of no help

Thank you all all for the suggestions. The item I am working on is a rustic lodge mantle. The client wanted the large mantle. So I had to distress a large timber and rubbing it out was really not an option with all the nooks and crannies. I would have had a lot of shiny spots in the depressions. And it must be stained to match the floors. So I just hated to buy another gallon of lacquer in a Dull finish when I had this sitting there. So all of the suggestions were valid it was just my application that was the problem. Now I think it is solved

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-24-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Ben, just make sure to stir your lacquer really well to get all the BP dispersed before using it, and don't let it sit in your gun after spraying as it settles out pretty quickly. You can easily mix it back up, but not what's inside the gun so make sure to clean that after each coat.

John