Thread: Building a vacuum system

Building a vacuum system

I have a question on building my own vacuum system for use on my lathe. Can I use the normal pink/red air compressor hose, or do I need to get some sort of vacuum hose to make the connections?

I am just gathering up stuff right now. I've ordered my pump and a few other things. I plan to make everything my self. I purchased that 1/2 hp, 7cfm pump from Amazon someone mentioned a few days ago.

RP

I suppose you could use the hose but it would be cheaper to just use Vinyl Tubing. I picked up some from our local big box store (Menards) and it works just fine.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had a piece of air hose laying around so that is what I used and it worked fine.

Neal

I used clear vinyl tubing with the re-enforcement threads.
    Joe

Many things would likely work. If you are buying, you may want to look at braided vinyl tubing. The braiding will help prevent the vacuum from collapsing the unsupported vinyl tubing.
    http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...4442691788.htm

The forces from vacuum are different than from pressure. The braiding will help support the tube. It is also about the same price as regular vinyl tubing.

Again, many approaches would likely work,
    Michael

Many people (myself included) have found that regular air hose works fine. Even if it collapses some, it won't affect the functioning of the vacuum chuck because very little air should be passing through the hose once the vacuum is established.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I suppose you could use the hose but it would be cheaper to just use Vinyl Tubing. I picked up some from our local big box store (Menards) and it works just fine.
    I agree with Steve as I followed his instructions on making my system. Works fine with no risk of collapse. It costs about 20 cents a foot as I recall at Lowes.
    God is great and life is good!

I used a regular 1/2" vinyl hose and when I saw it collapsing somewhat I put a length of Screen door spring inside to ensure there was enough air getting through. No problem now, been running for 7 or 8 years very nice to have a Vacuum system.
    Peter F.