Thread: Dust collect blower fitting question - square to round

Dust collect blower fitting question - square to round

I have another question, i've search some and i think i could possible use an hvac transition but nothing comes in the size i would need.

short back story.

a 3hp blower assembly fell into my lap as well as a 55 gal drum so i went out and picked up a SSD XL and i'm going to piece together a cyclone system.

the blower assembly didn't comes with the fitting that goes out to the filter though. so i'm left with a square-ish end (it's 8/5" by 7.25" approximately) on the outlet side. i need to transition this from the square outlet to round, turn 90 and down a bit so i can attach a cyclone style filter.

i would love to just use a 1 piece adaptor similar to the oneida systems but can't find them anywhere. anyone have any slick ideas?

thanks,

Brian

I'm guessing the "slickest" solution for that particular fitting would be if you could find an HVAC company that makes custom ductwork. Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is possibly a register boot.

Like this:Hood-for-Dewalt 734-12.5-inch-planer.jpg The problem is finding one that fits, or is close enough to use transitions to fit it.

Clearvue uses a fitting made of MDF and some kind of clear plastic. Making one similar to theirs would be a suggestion if you make it yourself.

I made one of MDF and sheet metal for my blower-filter connection. The duct really doesn't have to transition to round to connect with the filter. Mine is "squarish" and smaller than the interior diameter of the filter and just exhausts into it. I made it the same size as the outlet from the blower and used the largest radius on the 90 degree transition that would fit my portable rig. If you are planning on using flex hose, then the transition to round would make sense.

SDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-2.jpgSDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-5.jpg
    Last edited by James Gunning; 01-26-2017 at 3:29 PM.

Well not slick, but functional. Slick would be to have a HVAC guy make one. I just did a wood box. My outlet on the impeller was square and I used a 7" exhaust as that area matched the area of the square exit.
    Attachment 352593
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.