Thread: Unexpected Band Saw Gloat

Unexpected Band Saw Gloat

Just a little while back, I was visiting my local wood monger when I overheard another customer making arrangements to pick up his new band saw, which happened to be the very model I wanted. I joked with the counter person about loading it into my vehicle when he mentioned I might want to get while the gettin’ is good. I told him I wasn’t planning on buying until maybe in the fall but he explained that the manufacturer is going to start charging them freight, so when they sell their current stock and reorder, the price will go up by $200 or more. So what does Brett do? He buys a new band saw.

They had mobile bases on back order, so I decided to buy online. It arrived a couple of days ago and I put her together last night after work. I got as far as installing and tracking the blade before calling it quits for the night. It hums along quite nicely, I must say. Woohoo!
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The 14/12 is a nice saw. Enjoy it!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Gorgeous saw and congrats!

I love my Laguna 1412. You will be very happy with it Brett. Good decision!

Yep, nice band saw. And...a very good looking garage door. Did you build that??
    earl

Yeah im also interested in the gargage door.

Not to detract form the the new saw or anything.

I have the same one..

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Yep, nice band saw. And...a very good looking garage door. Did you build that??
    earl
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Yeah im also interested in the gargage door.

Not to detract form the the new saw or anything.

I have the same one..
    Not much to say about the door. It came with the house and it's long in the tooth. While it looks good, it's gappy and I want to replace it.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Nice saw! Nice looking door! I have a cousin that lives in Anchorage...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I bought a 1412 about a month ago and love it. I also have a Powermatic 14" saw and found it was not tall enough for milling logs and root chunks into turning blanks. I know they make a riser block for it, but after reading about people having alignment issues with the riser block installed, and after seeing the Laguna with it's larger table, nice blade guides, and working height, I was definitely interested. Another thing that I love about the Laguna as opposed to the Powermatic, is that the dust collection is so much better. I have milled log after log on this thing and the amount of dust left in the saw was so minimal, I was blown away. I did opt for a different light than the $100 Laguna light. I bought the Mofatt light and a 60 watt equivalent LED bulb and installed it. I did have to drill two new holes where the light mounts, but it only took a few minutes to install. https://www.amazon.com/Moffatt-Incan...ywords=moffatt

Just got done with final setup and tuning and made some test cuts. Man, I like this saw! Of course, I had to square the table to the blade and the fence to the table but I didn't have to adjust the fence for drift at all. Laguna posted on image on Facebook yesterday showing them taking a 1/32" slice off a piece of walnut. I had to try it. I just happened to have a scrap of walnut about 2" wide and took a slice off the face. Bingo. 1/32nd of an inch. I do need a better blade, so I think a Resaw King is in my future.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

That is equal to the smell of the interior of a new truck.Those powder coat finishes will last forever,forever,congrats sir on a fantastic saw-----Carroll