Thread: bandsaw blade sharpening questions

bandsaw blade sharpening questions

I've sharpened a few blades with my dremel and it does a fine job of eeking a little more life out of them. I was wondering though - what's the preferred method? I've seen some that sharpen the gullet side with a round stone and others that sharpen the back of the tooth with a flat wheel. Is one method better than the other? Also, do you try to sharpen according to the set of the tooth or do you keep your sharpener perpendicular to the blade?

The only way I've done it is with the round stone and touching up the inside of the tooth along the gullet. I've never tried to match the set since most bands have little set to them. As you said, you can get a little more life out of them. Maybe someone who sharpens the large bandsaw mill blades has a better answer?

You should use a cylindrical chain saw sharpening stone so as to maintain the shape of the teeth. I use one that is slightly oversize so as to be sure to hit the tip of the tooth and ignore the back side. I've had no luck trying to maintain the angle of the offsets. I use two strokes, (Forward and back).For slicing veneers, I can only get one sharpening and still maintain perfectly straight cuts. Second sharpenings alter the geometry to the point where the blade pulls to one side. Otherwise you can sharpen repeatedly for general work. You also need a good set-up with a guide to hold the blade and a couple of spools to wind the blade around and advance it periodically. I use a couple of wire spools with threaded rod in holes drilled thru my bench. I can do a 105" blade in 20 minutes.

Blog Entries
    It's been a long time since I did it, but I used diamond faced sharpening paddles. It's good for touch-up sharpening.