Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry drawer sides?

Cherry drawer sides?

I'm working on a dresser. I'm planning a cherry carcass with curly maple drawer faces. Has anyone seen drawer sides made of cherry? I usually always use maple, but since I'm using maple faces I wouldn't get the nice contrast against the dovetails.

I know maple-on-maple slides really well. I assume cherry is hard enough to work well with wood slides.

Consider red oak, if you gotta have contrast. Cherry is way too soft for drawer sides that slide on wood bearers. Northern hard maple would be best, for both the sides and the web frame parts on which they'll slide.

Personally, I'd have no issue using cherry for drawer sides and in fact, used them for my recent buffet/hutch project.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why waste beautiful cherry on parts that will only be seen occasionally? Save it for drawer fronts, tops, etc. and use maple or oak for the sides.
    Just my 2 cents ('cause I love cherry).
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Sure, why not. It's just wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    Why waste beautiful cherry on parts that will only be seen occasionally? Save it for drawer fronts, tops, etc. and use maple or oak for the sides.
    Just my 2 cents ('cause I love cherry).
    I don't use "really good" cherry for that kind of thing, but I also don't waste any wood that's useable. The drawer sides for the two drawers in the unit I pictured employ cherry that wasn't "good enough" for for major show components, but perfect for matching the beautiful cherry top of the unit. This is a very subjective thing, of course, but for me, it's in no way a "waste" of cherry. Quite the opposite.
    --

I've seen several of C. Becksvoort's pieces with cherry drawer sides. He must think it's OK.

John

How does aromatic cedar work for drawer box material on maple runners?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    How does aromatic cedar work for drawer box material on maple runners?
    Since cedar is truly a soft material, it's going to wear easily. It may be better to use a stronger material for the actual drawer box and line it with a "thick veneer" of the aromatic cedar if you need the cedar for insect control.
    --

Nice looking drawers! I like the beading, did you route it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Personally, I'd have no issue using cherry for drawer sides and in fact, used them for my recent buffet/hutch project.

Blog Entries
    Do what you want to do. If it doesn't work out, you can change it. How many times will the drawers be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    Nice looking drawers! I like the beading, did you route it?
    Yes, there is a build thread in the Woodworking Projects forum area.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't use "really good" cherry for that kind of thing, but I also don't waste any wood that's useable. The drawer sides for the two drawers in the unit I pictured employ cherry that wasn't "good enough" for for major show components, but perfect for matching the beautiful cherry top of the unit. This is a very subjective thing, of course, but for me, it's in no way a "waste" of cherry. Quite the opposite.
    What JB said X 2

Wood on wood runners of every design - whether the bottom slides on the drawer framing, or there's dadoes machined into the sides, or, whatever - will wear to a greater or lesser extent depending on the wood species you use.

You can help limit such wear by glueing on a strip of UHMW tape to one of the bearing surfaces: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...10,43466,32182
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I wish we had a "like" button for what Marty just mentioned. While my preference would to not use "wood on wood" drawer runners for "frequently used" cabinetry or furniture, if there's a concern with wear, that thin UHMW can really do a nice job to "give the look and feel" while mitigating wear and sticking.
    --