Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking at all options where to put new lathe

Blog Entries

I'm looking at all options where to put new lathe

I can't seem to make up my mind whether to build an unattached workshop, make room for a new, bigger lathe in the garage or invest in a very effevient dust removal system and put my lathe in a lower floor that we did not care for as a family room. It has no air intakes for the NG furnace so clogging furnace filters would not be a problem.
    I had a 20x16 addition built on the ground floor of our trilevel house. Much better.
    What I would most prefer would be to convert the lower floor into a workshop. That would require a very efficient dust removal system, which really wouldn't cost any more than my other options.
    Do they make dust removal systems for such means?
    A separate building would require heat and air...already have that in the house.
    It just isn'the much fun going outside in the cold to work in the cold season.
    Does it make sense to use the lower floor which is only a couple of feet below the surface? It is separated from the rest of the living area of the house by 6 or seven stairs and a wood door.
    Noise won't be that big of problem, but the setup would require a total dust free area. And for the first time in a couple of years I'd have room in my garage for my truck.
    Does my idea have merit?

I have my lathe in the garage at the farthest point from the door into our home and I cannot imagine the chips and dust if my shop was in the basement. Obviously many do it but if you're seriously considering it, it may be just as well that you visit a professional ventilation group to plan out your system. Just a thought...good luck.

The lower floor would be your least expensive option (and possibly most comfortable). I don't think "total dust free" is really possible but with ventilation separate from the house, a closet size space to use as an airlock and very good dust control; you should be good to go.

While capturing sanding dust is do-able, even with a small system. Using the dust collection system to catch the curlies is unlikely, though it could be used for a floor sweep. Some sanding dust is very nasty (any rosewood) and exposure can cause reactions, so dust collection would be a must either in the house or garage in my opinion. I don't know where you are, but heat could be a wood burner to help get rid of the waste in some areas. In others, that would be prohibited. Just some thoughts....
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Some people have found both the noise and dust a huge problem in basement and attached shops. A cyclone dust collector can be LOUD, mine is probably the loudest thing in the shop. My shop is down the hill 250' from my house and yes, I put in separate heat and air. But I don't mind the walk even in bad weather. Good exercise for a old guy. I can play in the shop even if someone is sleeping in the house and they can't hear a thing.

Seems like central heat/air in the room in the house would require adding conditioned air vents and returns.

If you do build a new shop, make it bigger than you think you will need! I built mine 24x62 a few years ago and it's already packed full.

JKJ

6. Does the lower floor have a walkout? You need to be able to get the shavings out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Does the lower floor have a walkout? You need to be able to get the shavings out.
    No it doesn't. Not too concerned about carrying the shavings out...just don't want any dust.

Blog Entries
    While a walkout would be nice, my only option would be at the front of the house. Rear and side have natural gas and sewer lines.

Blog Entries
    Of course, lets stop a minute and keep our priorities straight. Is it a serious lathe? (Well a Serious or Robust lathe). If so I think it belongs front and center in the living room. Heck with some subterranean rabbit hole.

Blog Entries
    To tell you the truth, if I lived alone that may very well be where you would find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I can't seem to make up my mind whether to build an unattached workshop, make room for a new, bigger lathe in the garage or invest in a very effevient dust removal system and put my lathe in a lower floor that we did not care for as a family room. It has no air intakes for the NG furnace so clogging furnace filters would not be a problem.
    I had a 20x16 addition built on the ground floor of our trilevel house. Much better.
    What I would most prefer would be to convert the lower floor into a workshop. That would require a very efficient dust removal system, which really wouldn't cost any more than my other options.
    Do they make dust removal systems for such means?
    A separate building would require heat and air...already have that in the house.
    It just isn'the much fun going outside in the cold to work in the cold season.
    Does it make sense to use the lower floor which is only a couple of feet below the surface? It is separated from the rest of the living area of the house by 6 or seven stairs and a wood door.
    Noise won't be that big of problem, but the setup would require a total dust free area. And for the first time in a couple of years I'd have room in my garage for my truck.
    Does my idea have merit?
    You can minimize the dust, but I can't imagine how you can have a "total dust free area". How much will depend on what equipment you are using, how good your DC is, and how well you collect at the source. With a lathe you can collect while sanding, but when turning you are creating dust and chips that are near impossible to collect. Adding air filtration will help and this might work. I had a basement shop a very long time ago. It wasn't the dust that was a problem, it was the steps. Just a pain carrying material up and down. I built a house and shop about 2 years ago. My shop is about 75' from the house. I have heat, but no AC. I do have a sink and toilet. A separate shop is not an inexpensive option. The basement option might work for you if you have a good cyclone DC and air filtration system. Keep in mind you will need to empty the bin and that can get messy.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    share your sentiments about stairs. My house is a tri-level, meaning I have to go up and down stairs no matter what I'm doing.*

I brought up the lower level because, besides being the least expensive option, it would be far less labor.*

My knees are shot and when I tried to talk to my doctor about replacements, suddenly a far greater medical problem was found. While my worse blockage was just 60% and just 2 others at 30%, they discovered that I have . anemia .*

So over the past 2 months I've gone through a multitude of procedures to find the cause. So far nothing. The level of anemia is at 8. I've had my entire GI system checked out from end to end. Upper and lower are fine. Tomorrow I get the results of the pill camera.*

If that goes well my heart doctor will go in and deal with the view blockage.*

From there they've given me no hints as to what they do after that to find the cause of the anemia.*

So, building a shop separate from the house would be the best choice and a friend of mine has built many structures and promises to help me. But that can't happen til spring when the ground thaws.*

Another option,and perhaps 2nd best would be another shed to put all the junk in my garage in.*

I can tell you all of the choices will be painfull.*

Not complaining just looking at it from a perspective not my own.

So I dragged the mess over here to SC for suggestions.

I just want to turn. I have a garage full of some really nice pieces, but they will not swing at under 10".*

I want to turn.

Yesterday I found a piece I had forgotten. I had turned the bark and a bit more off, painted the ends with latex and tossed it in the shed perhaps a year ago.*

Got it out and put it on the HD mini and made a thin cut from end to end. Absolutely gorgeous. I think it's peach. I sealed the ends again with AS to wait for a bigger and better lathe...766.

So that's why you see posts that sound like a madman typed them. I am frustrated. *

And I just want to turn wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Another option,and perhaps 2nd best would be another shed to put all the junk in my garage in.*
    Do you live in town or out in the country? I have a number of structures at the farm here but for storage a cheap and easy way is a shipping container - level a spot, spread some gravel, and have it set in place. Not the prettiest thing but no problem if you have an out of the way place to tuck it. The last one I bought is aluminum, 8'x8'x40', and just $1500 (I put vents in it and use it for hay storage.) I've seen people put wood sides and roofs on them to make them pretty.

JKJ

I have a basement workshop and while I've had good success with controller dust via a cyclone & air filter it isn't "dust free". After a weeks horizontal surfaces will accumulate a fine layer of dust but it's nothing a quick vacuuming won't take care of. With my basement having an exterior entrance the convenience of plumbing & HVAC is great. I used to work in my detached, non climate-controlled garage and it was really terrible for all but 3 months of the year.

Bill, If your lower level has reasonable exterior access I'd pursue a good dust collection system for it and make it your workshop.

Stairs! I'm just tired of them. Last house was a tri-level, one before was a two story, and one before that had the basement. Going up and Dow stairs is not a real problem. Going up and down carrying a board or chunk of wood is more difficult. When I built my new house the biggest step I have is 4" except for the front door that has one step. I don't use the front door. Every option has benefits and negatives. You just need to see what is the best for you.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.