Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bosch left the Woodworking Shows

I emailed the folks at WWS a couple of weeks ago because the dates they show for the Milwaukee show conflict with the Milwaukee Sports Show in the same exhibition center. The Expo Center doesn't even have the WWS on their calendar, so there's been some mixup somewhere. I hope they get it figured out. I don't typically buy anything at the show, but it's nice to see some of the demos and talk to other woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Rich, I find the same thing about Canadian shows, not worth attending.

Woodworking shows seem to be failing for 2 reasons

- online shopping

- what Diann calls the "Old white guy in a plaid shirt gathering". There are less of us old white guys in plaid shirts every year. I live in a metro area and most young people live in an apartment or condo, and aren't interested in manual skills.........Rod.
    Some of those young people living in apartments or condos will become "Old white guys in plaid shirts" if/when they're longer living in Condos or apartments. Some people whose careers involve producing words and drawings like to do something that results in something they can touch & feel. Online shopping and perhaps more importantly online how-to/review videos lessen the need to see a live demo or touch & feel. Sure, seeing/touching something in person is better but is it enough better to be worth the time/driving/admission?

An example for me was learning about jointer/planers. I didn't understand how the changeover worked. I found a short video detailing features of the model I was interested in. That plus downloading the manual answered my questions. No need to drive anywhere.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-31-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Seven Corners hardware here in Saint Paul pulled out of the show some years back and started holding their own mini show the same weekend since they are within walking distance of the venue. Seven Corners closed up two or three years ago as the land was worth more than the business.

I don't even know if St. Paul or Minneapolis even has a show these days.

Brian,

The closest show to you is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The closest show to you is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.....
    The date and location listed on their show website for the Milwaukee show conflicts with the Milwaukee Sports Show; which generally takes the entire exposition hall. Also, the calendar for the venue does not list the Woodworking Show at all. I have tried to contact the Woodworking Show people a number of times and was finally told that they are looking into it. That was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back, nor has any information changed on their website or the venue's calendar.

Scott

The show in Detroit will be the first weekend in March. I plan to attend as I've never been to one. Bosch is listed to be there. Unfortunately, I don't see Veritas or any other major hand tool folks. Kind of a surprise on Veritas as they just opened a store across the river in Canada, but maybe because the store is so close, they felt being at the show wasn't necessary. I guess I'm more interested in seeing what vintage tools might be offered by a few of the vendors.

I guess I don't have high expectations given everyone's "seasoned" reviews, but what the heck, something to do on a cold weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    John,

Festool wasn't at this show; apparently they chose to be at WoodWerks instead. I really did try to decide between WoodWerks and the show and picked the show. Someone who wanted my last Lie Nielsen plane was supposed to be there but failed to materialize or answer his phone.

Woodwerks is much better if you are in Columbus IMHO. Very little to actually see of worth at the WW show at the fairgrounds IMHO.