Thread: Sand between finish coats of paint?

Sand between finish coats of paint?

I am building mud room built ins out of plywood. I primed them with BM primer, sanded it smooth and applied one coat of BM Advance waterborne alkyd satin. I am very happy with the way it looks and how smooth it feels. I am planning to give it one more coat. Do I need to sand all of the surfaces or is it sufficient to just spot sand any dust nubs? I really dont want to sand the whole thing unless I have to. Thanks.

If the surface looks good, outside of any nibs, I see no reason to sand with Advance which is an water borne alkyd emulsion...essentially an oil enamel. I've never had any adhesion problems with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Personally, I would scuff sand the whole thing. Shouldn't take long with your paper on a rubber block. I did about 75 sq. ft of wainscotting for a bathroom in maybe 30 minutes using 400 grit, IIRC, the last time I used Advance. It sanded to powder after about 20 hours I think. If it sticks on your paper, it's not dry enough.

Beautiful stuff, Advance. Takes a looooong time to really cure, but it's one tough paint once it does.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If it sticks on your paper, it's not dry enough.
    John
    Thanks for that advice. I had that problem with my primer. It was applied in my cold garage and must have taken an extra long time to dry because the dust balled up and stuck to the paper instead of really turning to a fine dust. The pieces are now inside the house so they should dry faster. The BM Advance can says to wait 16 hrs, so I will do that.

Edit: I just saw that you were using 400 grit. Finest I have is 220. Do you think that stopping at 220 vs 400 makes a lot of difference in the final product?
    Last edited by Dave Schreib; 01-30-2017 at 5:39 PM.

You'll be fine with 220 grit. Just scuff sand it lightly. If it leaves deep scratches use a worn piece of sand paper, or go get some finer stuff.

John

I sand between coats using Advance. Extra insurance to getting a nice finish that's well bonded. Extra Fine 3M sand pads.
    -Lud