I've recently noticed that some of my tools and tool rests have become sufficiently magnetized that they stick to each other when I'm turning and I don't like the way this feels. All of the tool rests that I am using are from Robust and I have an assortment of different gouges and most seem to have developed some magnetic properties. All of my tool rests are magnetic to some extent and the tools that I use the most also are the most magnetic. I do have some rarely used tools that show little magnetism. If I assume that the tool rests started out as being magnetic, does moving my gouges along them cause the gouge to also become magnetized? I have magnets in my shop but never allow my tools or tool rests to come in contact with them. Ideas about the cause of this?

OK, now that they are magnetized, how do I remove it? There are commercial demagnetizers but I'm unwilling to spend the money for these. I've pulled a couple of my very small tools through the loop of my soldering gun and that worked but I can't get a 1/2" gouge to go through without touching.

Ideas?

Cheers,
David G